For the last three months I’ve visited three ophthalmologists and a dermatologist, but they haven’t discovered how to solve my problem. After my visit to a friend in another town I started waking up with swollen eyelids and about a week later they started to itch so badly that I had to take my sick leave. The symptoms became even more aggravating and I talked to those doctors but they couldn’t tell me anything specific. One of them said that the condition is called blepharitis and recommended baby shampoo and a q - tip, but it didn’t work. The other recommended Claritin but nothing happened again. They can’t make the right diagnosis. One of my friends remembered her father applying something called Nizoral when he had similar problem while they were redecorating. Is there anyone with itchy eyelids who tried this Nizoral out? Any positive experience would mean a lot to me!

I know exactly how you feel - I couldn’t open my eyes when I was suffering from this eyelids problem. My eyelids were swollen and as red as if I were wearing dark - red eye shadow. They were also so itchy that I kept scratching them until I made real sores on them and even my eyes started to hurt, probably because of all that pressure. It took three months for my doctor to make correct diagnosis. At first he too believed it was blepharitis, therapy didn’t help so he did some tests and discovered that it was an inflammation of my glands (those glands are placed right on the edges of the lids and they are important for the production of tears). I had to take antibiotics and, again, nothing was improved. After two or three more shots in the dark he said that it might be allergy to some ingredients often found in face creams and lotions. I was on Loratadine and nothing. And then he wanted to try with Nizoral and I was flabbergasted when I finally felt something changing for the better after three months. I used Nizoral cream and I also had to wash my eyelids with Nizoral shampoo. After twenty days of this therapy I was finally normal again. Seven years from then I can say that I haven’t experienced anything similar ever again. I don’t quite understand that since I didn’t make any significant changes my cosmetics choice and if it is an allergy it should reappear. Well, never mind, I’m just glad it’s all over. And you try with Nizoral too. I’m sure it’ll do you good.

You may have Preseptal cellulitis. It is caused by contiguous spread of infection from local facial or eyelid trauma, insect or animal bites, conjunctivitis, chalazion, or sinusitis. Symptoms and signs of preseptal cellulitis include tenderness, swelling, warmth, and redness or discoloration. A course of antibiotics is the most common treatment for individual with this eye infection. Even if the eye infection does vanish the antibiotics must be completed; such as clindamycin, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, or doxycycline for oral treatment. A steroid shot such as Cortizone will not work (at least it did not for me) Today is my 1st day of treatment on the antibotic so I will keep you posted. By the way my was caused by untreated sinus problem. The doctor told me to buy Mucinex-D Maximum strength in the red box. The one you have to ask for at the pharmacy counter.

I also have itchy eye lids. I am slowly starting to narrow it down, without a lot of help from 4 doctors. 1 General Practitioner, 2 dermatologists and 1 chiropractor/nutritionist. The latter was the best, he ran a very large blood panel, my lipid panel was upside down. It all started with a very strong odor emitting from my skin, smelled like cooked hamburger in a restaurant, this is the closest I can say it smelled like, but it was not a body odor smell. To cut to the chase I discovered to much caffeine was the cause. I quit and the smell subsided. Then I started itching in the eyes. This was assumed allergies, nothing helped. The eyes were very swollen from rubbing and had a thicker than normal eye tears/liquid, i would wake up with paste and crust in my eyes, and then start rubbing and itching. then I started getting a weepy rash/bumps behind my one ear that itched like crazy. this was given the diagnosis of eczema. This all was taking place for over 1 1/2 years at this time. Then it got worse. i started itching all over madly scratching. Mainly on neck and chest. Nipples itched a lot.

The self diagnosis at this point is, the caffeine (very hard on adreanal) hurt my adrenal gland, which causes eczema outbreaks and controls the thyroid and also the hormones for your digestive system. (i think) I found out that i was now allergic to casein a protein in milk. (Huge milk / dairy guy, this sucked.) Come to find out when I stopped dairy most of the itching went away. The eczema still persist. then I discovered the homogenization of milk was the culprit. They spin the milk so the proteins separate from the fat globules and this keeps the milk from separating. the proteins should stay in your digestive system and are now small enough to enter the blood stream where they are attacked as foreign objects, hence the itching.

i am now rebuilding the health of my adrenal gland and things are getting 80% better. I Started on a raw foods program which does help. I still have minor itching of the eye lids and nipples. This has been a three or four month healing.

Thank God for the internet, I solved all the problems myself with tons of research. Good luck.