I am 35 and I went to my Dr last tue after bleeding for 2 weeks and was positive on a preg test.(which was a miracle and made me very happy because I didnt think that could happen at all) Then he gave me an ultrasound and said I had either already passed the baby or it was just to early for him to see anything on my ultrasound.So just to be safe he scheduled me for next tue for my 2nd ultrasound before we went ahead with a d&c. My bleeding had lightened a bit until last night(fri) I passed a really big 1/2 dollar size horror movie looking blood clot and started having cramps.Today the same thing this morning and cramps were ridiculous most of the day but now this evening I am feeling better and my stomach is not so tight. I was just wondering how long the actual miscarriage lasted. Thanks to anyone who gives me some info.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated............. thanks.........

i am going through the same thing at the moment....had light spotting monday, heavier tuesday so had scan and was told empty sac or just to small to see baby, scan booked for 1 week later. friday really heavy bleeding and passed 3 clots the size of apples (not nice!) went to hospital dr done a sweep and told me that bleeding should stop. saturday bleeding for hour with lots of pain so went back to hospital. removed another huge clot and told me that was everything and to keep scan appiontment for wednesday. bleeding light at moment and waiting to go in morning. same thing happened to my sister and she had lost 1 twin and had carried on pregnancy and now got 3 year old boy. im confussed but hopefully my scan in morning will show me either way. i have done hpt everyday which still show positive and will carry on doing them till negative just so if any one else goes through the same at least i can give an answer to 'how long will ttest show positive?' hope all ok for you, good luck for the future

When I was around 7 weeks along I started spotting early one morning. I had cramps throughout my whole pregnancy so that wasn't any different for me. I went to the doctor and had blood tests done and was scheduled to go back in two days later for more tests. At that point it was too early to tell if I was miscarrying or not. Later on that night I had very heavy bleeding and cramping with a few small clots passed. The next day my bleeding returned to being very light with very few cramps. I went in to my scheduled appointment and found out that I had, in fact, miscarried. It has been about a week and I still have very light brown spotting. I think it varies from person to person as far as how long the miscarriage lasts.

I was 8 wks pregnant. Had a scan the day after I started light bleeding and the doctor found no heartbeat. I was devastated. The bleeding started heavily 2 days after that. I had contractions and what felt like labour pains for 3 hours. It was excruciatingly painful. No painkillers could dull the pain and at times I groaned it hurt so bad. A contraction would last from 30 seconds to a minute. I had about 10 of them then the cramps lessened in intensity. I'm on day 4 of bleeding and am expecting more. I'm not sure if I've passed the baby or not. If I don't I have to have a d&c which I'm not happy about.

This is an emotionally and physically draining process. I've been in bed most of the week.

I know how you all feel. I am just going through a misscarage again. This is my second!! I start spotting around 6 weeks then start bleeding about 7 weeks, prity much the same days as before.

Just to let you all know that I have a beautiful boy of 2 years. i actually concieved him straight after the last misscarage and didnt see another period. The doc did tell me to have a period but it happened so soon.

One postitive thing is you do get pregnant very quickly afterwards and Im sure like me its best to have a healthy baby and your body do the natual thing, if there is something wrong with the misc baby.

The last misc lasted about 2 weeks so Im sure this will be the same. Then (as my husband puts it) we will get back on the case!

Good luck to you all, there will be a positive outcome in the end PROMISE!!

HPT's will stay positive up to 2-3 weeks after miscarriage.
I was 5w4d and started bleeding heavily with cramps Sunday night. I was put on bedrest. Early Tuesday morning I had contractions for an hour and a half. It was so bad that Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and a hot hot shower did nothing. Emotionally it was worse than the physical pain. I passed several large clots the size of my hand. About 30 minutes later the cramps had lessened to a manageable pain. I knew I was miscarrying, as I had seen my OB Monday afternoon. I couldn't sleep knowing what had just happened. I had a glass of Tequila (I NEVER drink, smoke etc.) and eventually got to sleep. My bleeding stopped by Wednesday evening. Now it's just an occasional brown spot when I wipe. I'm still cramping once in a while. Worse after lifting or bending over. Hopefully it won't be much longer. I haven't done a HPT. There is no need. It's over. Now I just have the memory of what might have been. Wait 3 months and try, try again. Good luck next time.

Its christmas next week an im 6 weeks preganant!

Then 5 days ago i started bleeding randomly while i was in work.
I spent all monday in bed, went to see the midwife on tuesday and got scanned on wednesday.

At my scan i could see the sack and everything but there was no heartbeat, they want me to go back next week to see if they can pick one up then but today i have started bleeding even more (as if i were on my period) i have seen 2 or 3 tiny clots over the past few days and i have started getting light period pains that last for 5mins then go away.

I have not moved out of my Pjs for the past 5days, ive felt so useless and ashamed.
I knew as soon as i saw the blood that i had had a misscariage.
Im not a religious person but i found myself praying about 10 times a day that my baby would be okay.
Ive done alot of thinking and cried myself to sleep for many nights but now i know that its not the end of the world and it must be my body's way of telling me im not ready yet.

My partner and i will give it a few months and then try again.
They say time is a healer
Good luck girls
xxxx

? ? It has been such a wave of emotions for me these past few days and I think that maybe writing about it might help. I am desperate here! Anyways my rollercoaster started on Friday Dec 12th when I had unusual spotting (I found that odd as my period was not due until December 15th). So then I thought to myself maybe I am pregnant and am having another miscarriage (had one at 11wks Sept. 2008). SO I went to the Dr. and was told that I am pregnant and that everything was okay b/c my cervix was closed and it was just probably implantation bleeding. So they drew blood to check my hcg levels and was told to go back on MOnday for some more blood work. Well I went MOnday and then returned on Tuesday for my results and was told that it is likly that I was miscarrying since my hcg levels did not double like they should have. I was sad but I sort of thought hey I knew something was up and that a miscarriage was impending. So I returned to Dr. for more bloodwork and pelvic exam on Thursday. BY this point I have come to terms with the m/c (sort of). Then on Friday I get a call that my hcg levels were back and that it tripled so the Dr. requested that I come in again have some more bloodwork this time to check my progesterone. He told me to cautiosly optemistic that it might all work out. Do you think I listened - of course not-I couldn't helpself and became hopeful that everything was going to be fine. Then on Saturday I get a call from Dr. stating that my progesterone levels are low therefore never mind Friday b/c I should definately be having a miscarriage at any moment now. NOnetheless he asked me to come in Today for more bloodwork - so I did and I should get the results tomorrow. So I am currently sitting on my couch typing this of course but hoping and praying for a miracle and such an emotional mess...... :-(

I'm in the same boat... I found out my pregnancy wasn't progressing at 7 weeks. I started spotting brown two days later. Almost exactly a week and a half later, I started bleeding lightly... but cramping heavily. This was my first pregnancy but I swore it was labor pains. Terrible.

I opted to pass the baby naturally since I felt as though my body was already 'on it's way'.

I started feeling cramping one week ago, with the most severe being five days ago. I notice cramping daily now but not as severe. Two Tylenol seem to ease the discomfort slightly. I am now bleeding heavily (like a very heavy period) and not showing signs of it letting up. I have no idea what I've passed. There has been a lot of clotting but nothing significant. I was 9 weeks when the miscarriage technically occurred. I too am wondering when this will all be over, but I hear around 2 weeks is average.

One note, if you're miscarrying 'naturally', avoid Ibuprofin. It blocks the horomones that your body needs to allow the contractions and the passing to occur naturally.

Love to you all during this difficult terrible time. The emotions.. the physical and emotional pain.. coupled with the holidays.... It's terribly difficult and truly unfair. But we are not alone in these travels.

This really helped me with my miscarriage, I was two months and it was a rollercoaster!!!!!!! It's been two weeks now and im still bleeding lightly. I had a very painful experience cramps, nausea, dizziness, and lower back pain. It's good to know that I'm not the only one going through this and I felt much better after reading all the messages. Thank you to all :-) Good luck.

This is my third miscarriage. i have had alot of experience with this. It is the most difficult thing you can go through in my opinion. The only thing i want in life is to give birth to a baby. When i had my miscarriages they lasted three weeks to four. i am losing one now and im going on to my forth week of bleeding. About once a day or twice i lose a clot about the size of a quarter. I have done a lot a LOT of bleeding. Im going to go get fertility test done soon because i believe the worst thing has happened to me, I dont think i can have kids. But Yes i have had alot of bleeding alot of clots not much pain. It depends on who you are, your body, hormones, your partner. Good luck and prayers for those who lost their love. xoxox

I realize this post is old, but I wanted to add my experience to help anyone who may have just come across this as I have.

This was my first pregnancy and I was diagnosed with a Blighted Ovum at 7 weeks, and then rescanned at 8 weeks to make sure. So I had a week to mourn knowing that a miscarriage was inevitable with a BO. Two weeks later I still had no sign of a miscarriage (and I was afraid to have the D&C because of the risk of Asherman's) so I went to have a second opinion which also confirmed a BO and saw that my gestational sac was becoming deformed, which I now think was the sac deteriorating or detaching. The new doctor's office also did some blood work that showed my levels dropping. Literally the next day, which was a Thursday and two days before Valentine's Day, I started having some brown discharge and enough to spot a little on my underwear. This continued thru Friday and then on Saturday it all went away. I had no spotting whatsoever. Then on Sunday evening the spotting started again and by Monday I was bleeding like I was having my period. Tuesday and Wednesday I had cramping, but no worse than my period cramps usually were. I was clotting a little and on Wednesday evening I passed a large clot, about the size of the palm of my hand. I had two more clots that were smaller, about the size of a quarter by Thursday morning. I thought the miscarriage had occured and was over at that point...boy was I wrong. Thursday evening around 4:30 PM I started to have bad cramps. They came and went every few minutes and got a little worse and longer each time. By 10 o'clock that night I was in a lot of pain and was bleeding very heavily. Huge jelly-like clots were coming out at this point and I felt like I couldn't get off the toilet. Every time I had a cramp, which was like every minute at this point, it would bring on more bleeding and huge jelly clots. It wasn't worth it to get up and clean myself off. I got blood everywhere. I got scared...I had never been thru this before. I had a prescription for 800mg Motrin but it wasn't even touching the pain I was experiencing. We called the doctor around midnight and he made me feel better by telling me this was all pretty normal. So I just dealt with it and occasionally I would get off the toilet just because I was so uncomfortable and would go relax in my recliner until I felt more cramps and clots and then I would go back to the bathroom. This went on until about 3:30AM when I started to have cramps and back pain so bad I thought I was going to die. I sat on the toilet and tried to push, thinking something may have needed help getting out. But no more clots were coming. I cried and yelled and prayed out loud and really thought I was going to puke or pass out. I almost went to the hospital but I decided I would give it one more hour...I couldn't take the pain longer than that. In the meantime, I walked around a little, had my husband massage my back, and eventually I was able to lay in my recliner with an electric massager on my belly and was asleep by 4:30 AM. I have never given birth before, but I am guessing this is what labor feels like without meds.
It's the following Tuesday now, 5 days later, and I am still bleeding, but it's no more than what a regular period is for me. Last night I had some more cramping for about three hours and just passed some regular sized blood clots. Hopefully it's all done now. I would hate to have gone thru all of that and still have to have a D&C. I'm going in for more blood work to make sure my levels are down to normal, but I want to wait until the bleeding completely stops.
So that was my experience. I hope I never have to have it again, but if it was what labor is like, then I know I can handle it. It would be worth it to have that little bundle of joy in the end.

I also just came across this post and reading it has helped me tremendously. I suffer with PCOS and after 6 years and 9 months of ttc was stunned to learn I was pg on 12-16-08. Was hospitalized 12-28-08 to rule out ectopic pg and on 1-2-09 saw the heartbeat on a vaginal ultrasound. I was over the moon! HCG quants were normal and I thought we were golden. On 2-5-07 i experienced some light pink spotting after going to the bathroom and took the day off to rest. The next day I was fine. However, th day after that I saw the spotting again and it worried me so I headed to the E/R. The heartless u/s tech told me there was no baby in the sac that it had been absorbed by my body and that my sac had stopped growing at 7 weeks.(I shouldve been 9w5d) She actually said "try to act surprised when the doctor telss you,have a nice day!" I was in shock. I never knew a baby could just disappear! The e/r doc sent me home not knowing what to believe or even expect. On 2-17-09 I stood up from a seated position and immediately (TMI.....)felt my pants fill. I ran to the bathroom to find copious amounts of huge dark red blood clots that spilled out everywhere. Later, an u/s determined everything was out and I did not need a d/c ( thank god)! Doc gave me methergine,antibiotics, and pain pills and sent me home. 16 days later still have a positve pregnany test ( the HCG was at 9600 when I was told I had a missed m/c) and have had some intermittent bleeding and passed some pink/grayish tissue. Going for a re-check next week. My biggest fear in all this is I wont be able to conceive again. it took me 8 years to get pg with my lil girl and nearly 7 this time around. I am 37 years old and dont have another 7 years to play around. Hoping the doc checks hcg levels and something can be done to help us conceive sooner. This has been a nightmare and the only thing that saved my sanity was knowing that my actually baby was already gone,absorbed by my body, and not in that horrible mess I was passing. My heart goes out to those of you who know this pain. Sending baby dust your way,,,,,,
Micki

Last Saturday I began seeing brown blood after I wiped...went to the hopsital and was told because I was not bleeding heavily or having cramps ..it wasnt not an emergency and no ultrasound could be done....the blood disappeared on Sunday and half way through Monday I wiped pink and by Tuesday it looked like a period...went to my obgyn and was told that my cervix wasnt opened and the ultrasound showed the sac with baby but to soon for heartbeat...I have to go back this Thursady but on my way home from the doctor I soaked a pad and passed a clot the size of a huge chicken wing...I am not hanging on to any hope because I dont feel pregnant anymore ...I found myself praying and begging the god and the baby to stay but quickly remembered my first miscarriage and that all is the way it is intended to be...I have to believe this cause I can't be devasted around my daughter...hard enough having her kiss my stomach before the ultrasound....6 months before I got pregnant with my daughter I miscarried twins ......had I known that she was coming , I wouldnt have suffered as much.....I have no other miscarriage symptoms today which is so weird ...on Wednesday I had terrible cramps, Thursday no cramps but horrible pelvic pressure and nothing today except bleeding..I really want this over with already and will wait the one cycle my doctor recommended before trying again....and no coffee or any strenous activity during the time of implantation..I think the terrible fall on an ice patch during the time of implantation is the culprit because I had horrible cramps all day after that....
Good Luck to everyone XD