my hubby and i have been trying to conceive for 3 years. Last year on December 21st i had a laparoscopy and dye test to check out my ovaries, tubes etc.. When I came around after the procedure i soon realised that something was wrong as my body was flapping about uncontrollably and I had 7 nurses around my bed. Turns out i had an extreme allergy to the dye used. I was wheeled back to the recovery room under observation swollen and blue in colour covered in bumpy rash. That is when they delivered the devastating news. They found both my tubes were malformed. Birth defect. I was infertile and needing IVF to conceive. Exactly one year later to the date i had missed a period. This wasn't uncommon as the endometriosis (yes I had that too!!) caused me to be late sometimes. But when a week had gone by i thought that i might as well do a test - although i did begrudge the waste of money. Well it was a clear blue digital test and it came back Pregnant 3+ - i did two! I had spotting throughout Christmas and New year. Had 3 ultrasounds confirming a viable pregnancy in the uterus and even saw a heartbeat. I was delighted. During my third ultrasound they were concerned that the baby hasn't grown much but the heartbeat was strong so they scheduled an ultrasound for a weeks time. That week the spotting ceased and i finally relaxed and accepted i was pregnant! When the ultrasound came around i was 8 weeks and confident. Jokes with the sonographer that i had had words with the bean and demanded growth this week. The ultrasound was brief and the sonographer gave me this look and just said "Im so sorry" Babies heart had stopped and there had been no growth since the week before. Devastated is not the word. It's now been two days since we found out and my body still feels pregnant and i haven't started bleeding. Have to make a decision as to what to do. Terrified of the prospect of a natural miscarriage as it will be painful and gorey! But equally as scared of going for a d&c ... Any helpful suggestions?

Hi. I went Friday for my first u/s at what I believed to be around 8.5 weeks according to my estimates and by what my OB/GYN concluded. I had both the standard u/s as well as a trams vag one. The tech said she was only measuring at 6 weeks and saw no heartbeat. She said she will send a report to my doctor that it is a fetal demise. Of course my husband and I were devastated. I went to talk to my doctor later that day and he advised of a D&C procedure stating that even if the dates were off with my HCG levels at 14000 there should of been a heartbeat. He suggested more bloodwork to see where the levels were now. I called back the next day and he said my levels were now much higher, in the 100 of thousands but he still felt this was a missed miscarriage, being that there was no way to tell when death occurred. At this point I have had no bleeding or cramping, but I have noticed an absence of my pregnancy symptoms, no breast soreness anymore and I'm not overwhelmingly tired like I was before. The thought of waiting for my body to naturally evacuate my uterus is freaking me out as I'm reading its very painful and gross. However, I'm also reading a lot of stories of woman also being told there was no heartbeat and the baby has died only to find out it was a mistake. I have another ultrasound scheduled tomorrow at a different place but I'm wondering, how long should I wait before scheduling a D&C?

Ask for a second scan to confirm what they said is true. I asked and they did one for me before i underwent a the medical treatment.

Hope all turns out better for you x