Im a 16 year old male, 5"9, and right now I weigh 96 poungs. I eat 5-6 times a day and I am moderately active. I found out that the normal weight for someone this height and age ranges from 145-175 pounds so Im figuring im about 46-79 pounds underweight. I have not gained weight in over a year and i eat a diet rich in carbs proteins, etc. Does anyone know what could cause this? And if you need to know any other symptoms I have please ask. Also i have a very increased appetite if that helps

Heyy skinny teen, that will happen sometimes, my older brother is was the same way, he did not grow until he was 16. And the increased appitite means that you are growing. The being underweight may not be a problem, because it is not totallly uncommon, but then it could be as well, depending on your situation. If I were you I would bring this up to your current gaurdian or a doctor. Hope that helped:)

Celebrity
I agree with Abbie.
I think that you are in the growing process, you are 16 and growing ... It is normal to have increased appetite. I think that if you feel okay and have no health related problems, you are going to be just fine.
Some people are overweight by nature, some are underweight... Genetics...
What are your parents like? Skinny too? Or did they used to be skinny when they were your age?

Both of my parents were fairly "large" is the way to put it. Many members of my family are overweight, Im one of the only skinny ones. And my parents were around average weight when they were my age

Well, it could possily be if your grandparents were skinny. Whatever it is I am pretty sure you are fine:]

What do the grandparents have to do with this? I'm confused by what you mean when you say this. Can you explain?

of course i can explain blue dog, the thing is that the traits you have are mostly those of your parents, but traits that grandparents or aunts and uncles can also appear in whom ever the grandchild or niece/nephew are. like myself, i am said to look like my aunt, and am short like my grandmother.

Ah, so you are referring to genetics then. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that metabolism was actually tied to genes since it can be influenced so much by exercise. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Celebrity
Anyway, about gaining weight - eat proteins - meat like poultry, beef; yolks are fine; sweet potato contains considerable amounts of proteins

Just wanted everyone to know that im down to 93 pounds now. I dont think those peanut butter milkshakes are working for me. Any ideas

Interesting. What is the exact recipe that you're drinking? Have you been keeping a food journal that tracks how much you've been eating?

Yea and on an average day I eat at least 3,000 calories on an average days and some days up to 4,000

Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks,
A definite great read…

Thanks, its hard to keep finding the time to research stuff to post though with high school and everything, but I should have a new post up today or tomorrow. And soon i will get enough posts on this site that i can put the link in my signature so :-). Im surprised you were able to find it though lol

Posted new stuff to my blog :-) Cystinosis, Homocystinuria, and Maple Syrup Urine Disease, I felt like focusing on amino acids today