I think this is true only if one partner believes their faith is the one true faith. I couldn't be married to anyone who believed they had it right and I had it wrong and I was going to hell because of it. But I could be married to someone who's faith was important to them but still respected my views. I think how you approach faith is more important than sharing the exact religion.

true dat. coming up on 15 years of marriage, our views are in reverse.

I have no input...my wife and I are the same religion.

However my Mom is Catholic and my Dad is Lutheran, and they've been together for 35 years.

Mom was the church-going prayerful one.
Dad is the Saint.

Go figure. :shrug:

Wow.....that is kind of the situation I am in now....I am your basic liberal mainline ELCA Lutheran and my girlfriend is somewhere between an Evangelical and a Fundie.....and I know those people think us liberal Christians are going to hell cuz we don't believe in the inerrancy of the bible and we don't get all serious about being "born again".....but the GF is not judgemental like some fundies tend to be, but we really are used to our own kind of service.....I really don't want to go to her church and she is not used to mine.....I really don't know what will happen......I gave her the book "Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity" so that she can see the problems I have with the fundies.....she doesn't feel like she is like that, but she is naive and doesn't really see how judgemental the people are that she knows.....

Well it is a good sign that she didn't throw it at your head when you gave it to her. She must be at least a little open to hearing what you have to say.

As long as my potential spouse was a mainline believer in God ( standard Christian faiths or Jew) I don't see a problem.

Some religious leaders are coming to terms with rising numbers of Muslim-Christian couples in the UK
Islam is the United Kingdom's fastest-growing religion, and the country's Muslim population has nearly doubled in the past decade.

As the number of British Muslims increases, some are deviating from the faith's traditional norms. Many Muslim women in the UK now walk a tightrope between their Islamic culture and British identity.

Britain's diversity has spawned financially independent Muslim women who appear to be challenging their cultural and religious boundaries.

Being raised in a country that promotes tolerance and acceptance of others, they do not see themselves any ‘different’ to their non-Muslim compatriots. Increasing numbers are rejecting some of the cultural norms on offer, such as arranged marriages and family introductions. Instead seeking partners for themselves, who are an intellectual, financial and social equal.

Radically, challenging their boundaries has meant that growing numbers are choosing to marry out their faith.

In the UK, 21,000 interfaith marriages were recorded in 2001. Although no new statistics on the issue have been released since then, imams in the UK told Al Jazeera that these figures have surged in recent years.

Sheikh Toufik Kacimi, the CEO of Muslim Welfare House, a charity and community centre in London, says he is approached by at least two couples per week to consult on interfaith relationships.

Most religious scholars agree that Islam permits Muslim men to marry "women of the book" - Christians or Jews - thus expanding the number of potential partners to choose from.

Muslim women, on the other hand, are forbidden to marry a non-Muslim unless her partner converts to Islam, say purists. Some men nominally convert to Islam in order to appease their partner's family.

Imam Taj Hargey of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford is an exception. He has conducted marriage services for Muslim women without their Christian or Jewish partners converting. Most Muslims find this notion unacceptable, claiming it is tantamount to living in sin.

Mostly for love marriages it is not a problem, for arranged marriage only as parents think that if we select same race ,religion and place it is easy for the other partner to follow the customs and all as there will not be so much differences.