This past week, I've been having more frequent stool and they're smaller. Also, it's covered in what looks like fat. Sometimes this fatty substance is not attached to stool and comes out separately.

What is going on?

The fatty substance that you saw is probably mucous. If you don't have any other symptoms such as gas, abdominal cramps and bloating, diarrhea or constipation, adding more fiber in your diet usually will solve your problem.

Hallo,
The thing that you are having in your stool is mucosa. I it usually clear or white colored substance, but sometimes it can be yellow if there is an infection involved. In most cases passing mucosa with your stool is not that dangerous but there is a chance that this might be a symptom of some other disease. Ulcerative colitis is certainly one option, because in this condition your mucus membrane in your large intestine gets inflamed. You will also develop ulcer which might be seen if you have and endoscopy. Also some blood might be presented as well. If you notice any blood you should run some test at the hospital.
I hope this helped a bit