i have written in for some advice on something that has worried me more and more,especially since i've at 26, returned to college and come accross these symptoms daily. I am overweight, by about 4 stone, i am 1m70 ish tall, about 5 foot 7 i think.

I am not sure if this was happening before i started college, but every time i climb up or down the stairs my right knee makes a clicking/cracking/ crunching sensation, on each and every step, no matter how i try to land on my right foot. I am not sure if others can hear it, but can certainly feel and hear it. Until this afternoon, there was no pain associated with this. This afternoon, i have felt little sharp shooting tenderness in the joint.And through this evening it feels tenderish within it. But i don't know if this is bad and knee related or just a result of my worrying.

I would greatly appreciate a reply and some advice. I live in Ireland. I have been very keen on latin dancing and have been planning to return to it, but i am now very worried about placing undue stress on my knee.

hello,
I think there would be a multitude of possibilities for this happening. Perhaps you have strained your knee or hurt it when dancing or something, but I have the same problem and not very long ago I went to the doctor to have it checked out. First I thought I had injured it when doing Judo or something, but the doctor checked out my knee and nothing was wrong but she could feel it crunching funny when she placed her hand on it and I raised my leg up. After reviewing previous tests from past medical history of mine, we came to find out, I have the auto-immune disease known as Lupus. Basically, it's when your body doesn't recognize what part of you is you and what part of you is a virus, so it attacks everything. It isn't cure-able but it is treatable. It's actually a quite common disease and most people that have it, have it in mild forms. I'm taking belly dancing classes at the moment and I notice the pain in my knee as well. In my case, it helps if I lean forward a little. I don't know if any of this helps, but good luck!

Wow my name is Robyn! I have the same problem. I thought exercise would would make the clicking stop, but it hasnt. Although I dont feel any pain, I do feel a weird sensation when I climb up or down stairs, doing certain workouts at the gym, including eliptical,etc. If your having pain that could be a sign of something serious and I would have your doctor take a look, better safe then sorry. Most problems are better cured when treated sooner than later. Good luck!