Ovarian Cyst?
I am 20 years old, female, and having a dull (burning-ish?) pain in what really feels like my right OVARY. I have had this pain for a few weeks now and though it is getting a little worse it is not absolutely unbearable. Sometimes I feel it on both my right and left side, but the pain on my right is always more intense. Could this be an ovarian cyst?

Missing Period?
I didn't start to get my period until I was maybe about 16 and it was always very irregular. I never knew when I was going to get it and it would come once a month for about 2-3 months and then just disappear for months. I have never been and am NOT pregnant. When I was 19 I missed my period for almost 8 months so I went to my OBGYN and she started me on a pill so I would get my period. She didn't know why it was missing but the pill worked. I got my period and then started birth control. I was on birth control for three months and had irregular periods (which I know is common when you first start the pill). I stopped taking my birth control last August, didn't have my period until once in January, and haven't had it since.

Could my missing period and my ovarian pain be related? Can you only have pain in one ovary or is this something else? I have absolutely no other symptoms.. except maybe fatigue, but it is finals week! =)

Any experience/similar symptoms?

Hi! Well, I'm not a doctor but something similar happened to me two years ago. My periods are quite regular, they're never more than seven days late. But once I missed my period for more than two months. I thought I was pregnant but the tests were negatives, so I waited, and waited, and there was no signs of period. Then I went to my gynecologist and she did an ultrasound, she confirmed that I wasn't pregnant but she has found some type of cyst which was preventing my period to start. And I felt the same pain you've described. Then she gave me some super expensive pills and my period started within seven days. So you could ask your gynecologist to check it with a pelvic ultrasound. I hope you'll get well soon.

Thank you so much for writing back! I have been researching my symptoms since I made my first post (believe it or not!) and I have come up with some scary revelations.. I really think that I might have PCOS. I don't know if you are familiar with that, but I have some of the symptoms. Not all of them though so I'm still checking things out.

Glad to hear that you are doing better!

Oh, PCOS...that's my worst nightmare. :-( No, don't think it that direction. Maybe you're skipping your period due to some hormonal imbalance, maybe you should start using birth control pill again, but this time try taking it longer than three months and make sure that you take it regularly. And again, that pelvic ultrasound could help, at least it could give you some answers. Good luck. :-)

cassxoou wrote:

Glad to hear that you are doing better!

I was told about a year ago I have PCOS and it is hormonal imbalance which causes you to not have your period. I haven't had normal periods for over a year I finally got mine but it only lasted 4 months then stoped I'm not preg but all sudden my right ovary is hurting similar to you if you have PCOS most likely you have ovarin cyst which is common with it but do make sure your doc gives u an ultarsound mine wouldnt hope this helps

Trust me, PCOS is a nightmare! Missed periods half the year, then five months of bleeding. Sometimes it stops for a few days, but it always returns. Birth control is the only thing that helps. It is chronic. Ovarian cysts, mood swings, irritability, malaise. It is horrific. Not to mention the chin hairs...