I'm 19 years old and about 4 months ago I started having sharp pain in my lower right abdomen/pelvic area. I went to the doctor the first time I felt the pain because my mother said it may be appendicitis, but since it didnt hurt to put pressure on the area the doctor said it was probably some kind of muscle thing??? (he basically had no idea) but then a couple days later I got my period and the pain quit. Then the next month about a week before my period the pain started again, then whenever I got my period the pain stopped. Last night the pain started again and I couldn't sleep, after several hours the pain decreased a little and I fell asleep. About an hour after I woke up I got my period. I know the pain isn't cramping. It's just a sharp intense pain on the lower right side of my abdomen or pelvis. It doesn't hurt to put pressure on the area, and it's always in the same place. It isnt constant, sometimes it will happen every few minutes, sometimes it may be 5-10 minutes. Also, last night when ever the pain would hit I would get a kind of ache in my left breast, I dont know if it was my heart or what... but this was the first time that happened. I also get very painful cramps the first day of my period. It's so bad that I dont want to do anything, I've had to miss school because of it before.

I think you may have ovarian cysts, I use to get them around my period and it would cause severe sharp pain in my loser abdomen. Have you been checked for cysts? They are not really dangerous just more of a pain in the side..lol

I get the same pains!! I'm 19, as well, and I have no idea what it is. I'm actually getting them today which caused me to look up what it could be, but I keep seeing different things. It's such an intense pain that is around my pelvic area and shoots up my back sometimes. I wish I knew what it was.

I am 29 years old and get the same pains and it is always right around my period as well. I went to the doctor after about a year of the pains ans was told that it is ovarian cysts. They are not harmful as long as they go away. They more than likely will always come back each month. You should have your doctor check for that b/c if you have the same one over a ling period of time, they may need to remove it. What they will do is watch it over a period of 3-4 months (through a sonogram) and see if it is growing or if you are just getting new ones each month. Hope this helps...

I personally don't think your doctor knows what he/nor she is talking about.....................I have been having the same problem he told me the the thing............which I think is WRONG !! also !!! Sorry but I dislike doctors lol. Anyway I don't have and ovary on my right side...........so I don't think it's your ovary dear..........I feel your pain :-(

I would like to say that I started having this same type ofpain when I was 19. I went to several doctors and they said oh its nothing don't worry about it, but it kept getting worse each month. I am now almost 21 and have found a doctor that said that I have polycystic ovarain syndrom (PCOS) and it is where you have multiple cysts in both ovaries. My doctor said that I need to think about if I want kids because do to the extent thta they are I probably won't be able to have kids for much longer. You might want to go to a specialist. It is true that all women usually get scysts at some point but they shouldn't cause severe pain. Just be aware of what it can lead to. Good luck

Hi, so I am 23 and have recently been having pretty much the same problem, (it started friday, today is mon), the only difference is
that this sharp pain comes when I am aroused. It's really strange, other than that I am fine. I am unsure if it is due to the UTI that I had, possibly still have, but I went to the doctor and have finished taking the prescribed medicine that she gave me. I don't know if it has not cleared up completely, but I wasn't getting this particular pain when the doctor diagnosed me with having a UTI. I have been researching possible answers and I also came across ovarian cysts as an answer, as well as ectopic pregnancy, (going to take a test today), and PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease). Although I have had sex since my last period, I don't think I am preg., it was not unprotected, but I am not on birth control, just condoms. I had my period at the beginning of the month I guess I will try and go back to the doctor this week because I am really starting to freak out. Do any of you get this pain when aroused????!!??

Have you all thought maybe it could be endometriosis. I have it, and I get those pains all the time. Every woman in my family (mom and dad side) have had a hysterectomy before the age of 30 because of it. I too will be no exception! Get it checked out, I have had family almost die because of it!

I don't want to scare anyone and please know how very rare the situation is that I'm about to tell you about. I, too, had severe pains in my right lower pelvis that sent me to the ER about every 3-4 months for 5 years. My doctor said it was due to ovarian cysts so I had a hysterectomy with both ovaries removed. The pain continued so I knew it wasn't due to cysts. I begged my doctor to remove my appendix but I didn't have the normal symptoms of appendicitis, even though every tech who did an ultrasound said they couldn't compress my appendix. When I finally found a doctor who would remove my appendix, it was found to be cancerous. Who knew an appendix could get cancer??? Not me and not the doctors in the ER! Please see a specialist and discuss this. I was so lucky that I didn't get the mucinous version of appendix cancer (PMP) and that my cancer had not spread. I am so grateful to my fabulous surgeon and appendix cancer specialist (Dr. Armando Sardi at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore) and especially to Carolyn Langlie-Lesnik who has a great website about appendix cancer, as she is a surivor.

Please don't worry because this is so very rare. But I wish someone had told me about this sooner. It could have saved me a ton of surgery and chemo. In the end, I'm very lucky. Good luck getting to the root of your pain and getting rid of it!

I have had that pain before too. I'm 17 though and it just recently started a few months ago. My pain only happens once for about 5 seconds. Then a few days later i get my period. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but i talked to my dads gf and she said it happens to her too. Shes 31. She said its probably an ovarian cyst. And they go away on their own & that it really isn't that big of a deal. But if the pain were to last a while and didn't go away then to go to a doctor.

If I'm only 14 why am I getting these weird pains. I think it's just not normal, especially because you're all 19 and 17. Which is 3-5 years away. Could it be something else, should I still go see a doctor? Mine are every time a wake up for 10 minutes to 30 and if I go pee it sorta goes away. Also If it doesn't come back till either 5 in the after noon It comes back the next morning. This has only been going on for a few days for me so I'm hoping I get my period and it goes away.

i am actually having that pain right now and is it just something that means your period is coming or what?

I also have gotten this pain. I got it about 2 weeks ago and it was so sharp i could not move, then i waited a few hours and it went away. THe other night (friday night) it is now monday i got the same sharp pain. I got extremely light headed and dizzy, and i could not bend or walk. I layed down and i finally fell asleep 6 hours later. I woke up the next day and the pain was still there very faintly. I dont know my sister says it could be ovarian cysts but i just dont know if they are more serious then we all think.

I have the same sharp, stabbing pain in my lower right side. It's a cyst on my ovary. Some months it's not so bad, this month especially it's been wicked. I've had external & internal ultrasounds and my dr won't touch it until it seriously affects my daily life. Soo ... I'm feeling your pain and suffering with y'all! It is scary because I've heard if fever or vomiting are present go to the er. I haven't resorted to that (yet). The one thing I was told is to take naproxen or motrin or my personal fav, pamprin BEFORE the pain starts and continue until it's over. 2 doctors told me that. My fiancee will heat up a plastic water bottle and the warmth pressing on the pain does help alot. A 16oz water bottle works great because it fits nicely between belly and thigh with knee bent. Hope this makes sense & helps someone :-)

i have the same pain in my lower back and lower abdomen on the right side. sometimes it feels like the pain is shooting from my side all the way through to my back. but when it hurts in my stomach its like a really sharp pain. my back feels so uncomfortable like i cant sit or lay without it hurting. i dont know what it could be, because i get this all the time, just randomly weather im on my period or not. i just stopped birth control about 2 months ago and i have only had my period once since.. i should have gotten it 2 months ago from the last. but i was also on bc because of irregular periods. so im not sure what my pain is from or why its happening.