I lean on my right side on my laptop for hours a day, daily, I like sleeping on my right side, and I have been laying on my right side for a long time, 3-4-5-6-7-8 months?

I noticed when I lay straight back (I am skinny), my left rib is natural but my right rib doesn't extend out as far as my left. I think leaning on my side might have pushed it in and elongated it. There is no pain at all..

When I lay down you see the left rib as normal, the natural curve, the right rib, on the other hand, has a curve shorter than the left and is elevated, it looks like the top near the sternum is sticking out.

My right rib was completely normal, no defects, before this habit..

My question is: Can this rib reform back into its natural shape if I stop laying on my right side? No surgery or doctor stuff, just can it go back to its original shape over time?

Thanks!

Just like everyone has a slightly larger foot than the other or a longer leg than the other, sometimes the ribs are not perfect either mine are not.  My left one sticks out a bit further than the right one, not noticeable to anyone other than me no doctor has ever said anything about it when I've had an x-ray of the chest, lung or rib.  It's normal, natural and something the body does, it may go back or it may stay that way forever and it's no big deal except to yourself.  Most women have one breast larger than the other or one that hangs down further than the other, I'm skinny too and unless if I lay down you cannot physically see the difference of the ribs.  Hope this helps

No it isn't like that. This protrusion is different. It is caused because I lay on my ride side and push the rib in. Will it grow back normally IF it was originally normal (Unlike you, you would grow your rib back in a way that it was before, protruding, since you were born that way.)

How old are you? just because one person was born with a larger foot or bone and you weren't doesn't mean that your change isn't going to be permanent or that you even caused it (although it didn't help). I am over 60 years old. My spine and ribs were fine until around 12 or 13, then I noticed that I was beginning to get scoliosis. This disease, in most cases sets in during puberty. The thought was that you could correct it with a cast, followed by a brace until the child reached around 18 years when the bones were set in place. Are you a young teen? I now believe we are born with some dna properties that don't present until our young teen years. I could have had rods inserted at about 13 to 15 years, but it is drastic and over the years would have caused lots of pain as my body changed, so I'm not sorry that I declined it. You have no pain due to the condition, like I never had until I was well over 50 and through menopause. (I don't know if you're male or female). It only really progressed further because estrogen levels were gone at that time. Estrogen protects the bones. To answer your first question, I would say, YES, you are on the right track. You can't just lie differently though. If you really want to become straight as you can be, do yoga. Get into a class with an instructor. I have been amazed that even at advanced age Ivengar or Bikram and probably many other forms of yoga can change the way your bones, ribs, etc. lie within your body. There are so many other benefits. Please listen to me. I didn't start till about 15 years ago. I see women and men with beautiful bodies at over age 60 who practice yoga at least 3 sessions a week.

I forgot to add that just like Lizardqueen420 (really 420) lol. Anyway, she is absolutely 100 percent right. Love yourself because of, not in spite of your differences. I'm sure there is no one, other than yourself that notices this difference anyway. Its your whole self they see. I was with my first boyfriend for six months at age 20, and living together, and when I asked him if it bothered him, he told me he had never noticed it. The same thing occurred throughout my life, although it is SO noticeable to me. Maybe we are not destined to be runway models, but there is an actress with untreated scoliosis.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Yoga and a belief in yourself is all you need. (And stop lying on your side for hours at end) : )

Thanks for posting. I wish there was an internet around when I was a teen and had these kinds of issues, and someone like you to say this. I wouldn't believe my grandma and family. I just figured they were biased. So I suffered emotionally for no reason at all for many years between 12 and around 30.

As I said my ribs were perfectly fine. I am young. I KNOW it is caused by my 15 hours a day for days on end laying on my right side on my computer. Will the ribs grow back normally, aka: Extend out like they used to over time.

That is a lot of damage you are doing to your body laying around like that for hours on end in the same position. Will your ribs grow back normally? They might or they may not, not all bones grow back normal when you break a bone sometimes you are left with a lump where there was no lump before.

I'm really not sure if you are honestly reading any of the replies anyone is posting here as someone has posted that yoga may help and I am in agreement with that. This is a stretching exercise not only will get it your body stretching but it will get you out of laying down for hours on end on your computer, not healthy. Also, bad for your eye sight in the long run.

Laying around like this in one position for so long, hours on end will also damage your spine, posture and body alignment.

Your social skills will start to lack, aka - person to person skills. Your brain/thinking will slowly decline as the computer is constantly doing your thinking for you.

This may happen, I'm not saying it will happen - if you are young as you say then you can reverse any damage before it starts by exercising, sitting properly, taking breaks, etc.

So if I start sitting properly and doing stretching exercises, will the damage reverse? I'm 13.