after i run, outside is when i notice it, mostly the bottoms of my legs and sometimes the rest, turn reddish and somewhat itchy

what does this mean?
what causes it?

me too! I just went for a walk/run and i get REALLY itchy thighs and knees when I'm done running. I am not obese or have large thighs..average I'd say. But it is IMPOSSIBLE not to itch and then they get red and bumpy! What IS this?

Well idk last summer i had really itchy red bumbs on my legs and back and well it was a heat rash and an allergic reaction to something... it looked like poison ivey but it could be wind burn...

I am not a doctor but I have had this explained to me as I have had a lot of itchy type of reactions when I run. If you don't run a lot, it's just your capillaries expanding that makes it feel like your legs are itching. But, along with other symptoms, your body could just be allergic to exercise. If all serious tests pass then those two are likely the problem.

I'm not so sure of being allergic to exercise, but the capillary "itch" seems to be right on the money.

i actually just took an epi pen certification course and was explained that itchy legs and back during exercise is actualy a mild form of anaphylactic shock, usualy very mild but in some people it can be intolerable and even severe effecting your breathing.

I have itchy thighs after I haven't exercised for a while. After I start, I have to take a benadryl before I run and that usually helps with the itching. It shouldn't be necessary after a little increase in your fitness level.

Those are some great answers! I've had this problem for YEARS. If I run regularly, I am fine. But if I haven't run (or even briskly walked) in a week or two, I break out in the "itch." The "itch" starts and is worse in my legs but at times it spreads. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weather or what I am wearing. On the flipside, I can be on an eliptical machine or bike or anything without that ground impact and not have this problem at all.

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one but you've nailed my exact symptoms! I can spin and do the elyptical with no problem, it's only running. I feel so much better. It's great to get some knowledge about this, it has been so frustrating!

Hey guys, Im not a doctor and don't know much about these things but it sounds like you guys have a type of exercise induced allergy called cholinergic urticaria. Specifically it seems that you guys have a physically induced urticaria. Essentially its exercise induced hives and its that stress of exercise that causes the itchy rash. I think the recommendation to take an anti-allergy drug such as Benadryl is a good one. They say that cholinergic urticaria may be a sign of more serious problem called exercise-induced anaphylaxis, so it may be worth talking to your doctor about it. The only info I could find about it was at: (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011015/1367.html) Good luck!!

I've had this problems since I was 19 yrs old and I thought I was the only one. It was causing a problem for me only in the cold weather but now it's a problem all year round. The itch started on my abdomen area and then towards my buttocks and finally my legs. After 8 minutes, the only thing itching was my buttocks and thighs. I figure if I continue running it would stop itching but no luck. The funny thing is that when I spoke to one of the trainers at the gym, he said he never heard of this problem. Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one because it helps to share thoughts and solutions to this problem. Well I thought of taking a benadryl before my workout today. I'll try whatever helps...Thanks. I will follow up with a physician soon. :(

Wow,this happens to me too but im barely 13 and this has been happining since the beginning of 7th grade.I don't know why but every time I get active it juss happens.Its embassing especially in school.But ALL over my body everywhere hives!Im in 8th now and its still happens

the itchy/redness is due to the release of histamines during exercise. Histamines are proteins involved in autoimmune.

A common sweat gland problem is prickly heat, a rash that forms when the ducts of the glands get plugged up. When sweat can't escape to the skin's surface, irritation develops. Here's what doctors recommend.

Chill out. Since hot, humid weather usually triggers prickly heat, get out of the sun and cool off, says Anita Highton, M.D., medical director of clinical research at Westwood-Squibb Pharmaceuticals in Buffalo. Take a lukewarm shower or bath or apply compresses that are 10 to 20 degrees below body temperature to soothe the itching.

Find an igloo. If you go back into the heat, you might have a flare-up. Stay in air-conditioned rooms as much as possible for at least a day after the rash subsides.

Loosen up. Tight clothing sets you up for prickly heat, because it traps sweat next to your skin and keeps it from evaporating, Dr. Highton says. To avoid that, wear loose-fitting cotton or polypropylene garments and avoid snug nylons or polyesters.

Take a vinegar plunge. To relieve itching, pour a cup of white vinegar into a lukewarm bath and soak in it until you feel comfortable, says Dr. Highton.

Slather up. Over-the-counter moisturizers such as Moisturel that contain dimethicone can help relieve the itching, says Dr. Highton.

Well I realise this post started in 2007. However I thought I should add a me too. So that others can no they are not going mad.
I too get a rash a few minutes into a run it is on my stomach and chest, legs and buttocks. It only happens if I have not been for a run in a few weeks. It is very hard to run at all as it is so itchy and uncomfortable. Also like others on this post, it does NOT happen when I ride my bike even a 40km + ride. Once back in a regular running routine I don't get the rash. I do not get the shortness of breath or light head. I think I might try a anti-histamine tablet the next time I run after a break from running. The answers on this site where useful except the heat rash it is most certainly not heat rash.