Hi everyone,
I am thinking of investing in proper winter running clothings this year and I need help so badly! I know I could easily just walk into a store and ask, but the prices are unaffordable and I am going to find what I need from ebay. I know I am looking for non cotton, synthetic materials, but for weather like - 30*C's (Montreal winters) I am not sure how many layers I will be needing, and what sorts of outer/inner shells do I need. Can someone help me out a bit here please? thanks a million!!

Michelle

roadrunner

Is a good place to get gear, (that's where I got a lot of my gear)

I usually went went with tights, and long sleeve shirt (coolmax or thicker), and jacket. (hat and gloves of course). I live in the Philly area, and it can get pretty cold here.

I was always comfortable.

Hit Mountain Equipment Co-op -- I'm sure Montreal has one. The stuff there is good and it's inexpensive.

For -30C, you'll want a few layers:
o A good base layer (like Lifa by Helly Hanson) top and bottom
o A long sleeve technical T
o A light fleece AND a light shell, OR a lined, wind-proof running jacket
o Lined running tight and windpant, or heavier wind pant

In addition to that, I like a technical-fabric balaclava, running gloves with windproof mit overtop.

For all the snow you get there, consider trail runners, or something like yaktrax for more traction. And don't forget the reflective vest and/or blinker lights to keep you visible.

It's a big list, and it will take you to -30C at least. For cooler temperatures, just use less of what's above.

I can't help you here. The coldest we might get down here is 32 degrees F, I know there are enough other Real cold weather runnners that can give you some ideas.

if you're a guy.....don't forget wind-resistant underwear.