Okay, so consider this a unique post. My name is Drew and I am a parking attendant during the summer months. I work six nights/week, but mon-thurs are by far the hardest, where I am running on pavement, hills, gravel, and up/down slate steps (East Hampton Point is a real obstacle course). I'd say those first four nights of my work week I run at least 2-3 miles per night. Last summer, I was using a crappy pair of new balance kicks, and when I started to get shin splints, I threw in some $20 dr. sholls inserts which did absolutely nothing. During the summer I'm usually about 160-170lbs, I'm 23 and I often run off my heals. I lift weights and have been trying to up my cardio before the summer begins. So that's the background, my questions are as follows: Is being a heal-runner verses a forefoot runner going to increase the shin-splints I experience? If so, can changing my form help this? What is the absolute best pair of running sneakers I can buy???--cost is not a factor Thank you all so much for your time, I'm hoping some good advice can really help me out and make my job a little less physically grueling this summer. -dp

There's really is no best shoe. Go to a good local running store and get some good input. They'll be able to find the shoes that will be best for you.

Like Mech said, the first thing you should do is go to an actual running specialty store. When you get there, simply ask them for the most padded shoe they have (tell the mspecifically "to help prevent shin splints") and they'll find the best one for your foot.

As for your form I don't think that is a major issue. If you ran on your toes that would be quite a bit of impact too.

i'm a heel striker and, oddly enough, have never had shin splints. i don't believe anyone can change their running form that easily (from heel striker to toe runner) i agree that you need a cushioned shoe, i'd also suggest a good arch support. the surfaces you're running on are really varied and the slate steps are killer. i can't imagine anything less forgiving than slate :umno:

good luck this summer.

Yeah, luckily I don't have to spend too much time running on the steps, it's just like a pathway from one lot to another--the real annoying part is transitioning from loose gravel onto sloped pavement and not falling on your head. Incidentally, it's also tricky to not spin the tires on a 360 Modena or SL 55 AMG in that very same gravel. :D

But yeah, I found a store nearby where I attend school and I'll hit it up before I graduate next month. Hey, thanks for all the prompt replies you guys, keep em coming!

-dp

I find that if I stretch out well, I don't get shin splints. I raise up on my toes and then rock back onto my heels and repeat. I also do one leg at a time: raising up on my toes and lowering.

I'm not sure what it does--maybe it's stretching the foot and tendons or something. All I know is that if I don't do it; I get nasty shin splints.

~Astara~