I’ve been trying to find myself a suitable sports activity for quite a while now. First I tried swimming but for some reason I couldn’t breathe in the water. Than I took up cycling but I fell and broke my arm. I think that running is the safest activity for me but I’d like to do it properly and I need your advice about the proper foot placement in order not to make a mess and hurt myself again. Thanks in advance.

The answer to this question is not so simple, but to put it in a nutshell, you should see what the most comfortable area of your feet is to land on. Some people hit the ground landing on their toes and to some other it seems very uncomfortable and almost impossible. I usually land on my heel first and then roll over to my toes. I’ve tried to land on the flat foot but after that I had pain in my feet. So, try each of these placements and see what’s the most comfortable for you and what is the least tiring for your feet and legs. Just carefully choose your running shoes. That’s in my opinion more important than what foot placement to choose.

Landing on your heels is anatomically incorrect while running, but has been enabled through shoe technology. Using your heels is for walking.

You will probably find yourself using that roll method when you start out, because you can't go fast enough to run on the balls of your feet and push off with your toes. That is the natural way of running and will actually help you run more efficiently and faster.

Running on your heels relies on the shoe to take the shock absorption from the foot striking the ground. If your heel is hitting first, you are either digging your heel into the ground or overextending your knee.

If your foot strikes the ground with the balls of your feet, the calf muscle becomes the shock absorber as your heel slowly moves toward the ground. If done properly, you will be leaning forward just slightly and your heel will never actually touch the ground.