I work in a metal refining firm and I usually wear the protective masks. Unfortunately, the accidents still might happen and yesterday a spark scratched my sclera and now it’s swollen and hurts. The eyesight is ok, but there is slight pain and a lot of discomfort. What should I do? Will this pass on its own?

It is very important to see a doctor. These minor mechanical injuries usually induce inflammation and infection, so the pathological process in your eye might spread some more and that is something you have to avoid. The eye has to be cleaned and treated medically in the best possible manner.

Hi there,
This is very dangerous, and your work habit is not making it any easier for you. The fact that you scratched your sclera is very disturbing but the good thing is that you didn’t hurt the center of your eye. Because then you would probably have many complications with the vision and the pain. Now the swelling is most likely from the scratch but it might also be from the part of the metal that might be left in your eye. You should go to doctor’s office and see if you have anything in your eye. You have to wash your eye with clear water, without any supplements in side. I hope this helped.

All the best,
Danella