Hi, I am a 19 year old male with severe flat feet (I have military issued orthotics (I am luckily still a dependant to my father)) and arthritic knees, additionally sometimes when I do aerobics my blood pressure will plummet to the point of temporary hearing loss, and blacking out (I have come to recognize the warnings and stop and sit down until my blood pressure returns and then I go very easy immediately home)

My neighbor, who just so happens to be a military physical therapist who is just one of those people who you know was born to do that job. Has worked with me several times and turned me from a semi-cripple into what I am now.

I have been told that I should not do anything high impact to damage my knees, and I love to ride my bicycle. However I want to expand my horizons and take up jogging. And so today I went for my first jog. It was about 45 minutes to an hour long, 3-4 miles on the side of a road with a running path. I have read that to lessen the impact on the knees you should not jog on concrete or asphalt so I jogged on the side where there is tightly packed crushed gravel and grass. I also took very small steps with a small gate. The only problem I faces was after a while I began to notice that I was using my right leg more than my left, I would push more forcefully with my right than my left and compensate which was leading to slight discomfort, I attempted to remedy by focusing on using both legs equally, I think I have it down, I was not moving my pelvis enough.

T words the end of the jog I felt a moderate pain just under my right knee and immediately reduced to walking and finished with just walking. It was not bad and did not bother me while walking. I am slightly concerned over this, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it was just overworking it or something else.

Finally I was wondering if anyone could give me advice and anything I should be extra careful about on reducing stress to the knees. I am keeping optimistic that I should be A-okay jogging and later running but I am concerned that something may go wrong and cause major damage. Way back when, 10+ years ago, I played soccer and developed nasty shin-splints and am concerned they may return,

So, I guess what I am asking is, I am prone to damage, what should I do to prevent it, and what are early warning signs that something is wrong?

Thankyou very much in advance!

I've been running for a long time and have hereditary flat feet (though it sounds as though they aren't as bad as yours) and a bow to my leg. When I first started I got terrible shin splints and knee problems which seemed to worsen exponentially, and to be honest my knees don't ever seem to have properly recovered.

I suppose it's hard to give advice based on my own experiences because yours seem radically different. Running is an extremely high impact sport which can cause awful recurring injuries when not done the right way. In your case I would advice seeking professional help before even embarking on what may seem as small runs. You're neighbour sounds like a good person to consult. The biggest thing is to make sure you have the right footwear (which I think you mentioned you do have) and perhaps knee supports. Contact a local running shop, or even a University/ College, because they can use technology to measure your gait and stride and give you advice. Running stores usually do this for free. Use your cross training like cycling to build your leg muscles, as this will reinforce and support the weaker areas of your legs. Above all, if they tell you not to overdo it, then don't overdo it. And if you're in any pain, such as your knee, then stop and rest for a decent amount of time.

Hope this helps in some way!