Hey folks,

I searched the netand found this. I am a 26 yr old overweight guy, im 5'7 and weight 108kgs :( . I have been walking for a while, but the moment i pick up speed, or do a brisk walk, i get a killing pain in my lower shins, and upper calf muscles. Towards the outside of the shin to be precise. I cant even walk till i slow down. M so upset, i see runners, i feel like running! how wud i lose all this flab! :( i wanna run so bad, n lose this weight!

I live in a medium sized town, so its not really possible to see a doctor or surgeon, nor do i have the money. Any suggestions? pls advise.

HI buddy. This sounds like a classic case of shin splints to me. The bad news is that there is no definitive cure that works for everyone but the good news is that over time most people find something that works and they are able to manage their splints. Sometimes the splints even clear up completely. There are a couple of things that you can try to start you off before you should seek medical advice if the problem persists. First of all you can invest in a decent pair of specialist running shoes as these may provide the support and cushioning that you need. Watch how much you spend though as you dont need to pay more then £80 for a decent pair of shoes, no matter what the sales rep tells you! if that doesn't work then you can try running on grass instead of concrete and roads, taking ibuprofen to help with the swelling, icing your shins after a jog and building up slowly, or you may simply have to completely rest for a few months then then start your training from scratch again. If you do have to rest then you can always pretend you are training for a triathlon and start swimming and running as then you will still be training hard and will be fighting fit when you return to running. I hope that helps! Personal Triathlon Blog

Workout is most important thing for weight lose. An running is best workout.But I don't know how mush running daily ? Is there any one tell me.