My cardiologist recently diagnosed me with a leaky valve. My ejection fraction was 63 at the time of my echocardiogram. I have been noticing that the veins in my hands and arms are eithe flat or completely invisible a good portion of the time, considering before they were very visible and looked very full ALL the time. I drink ALOT of water so I know I am not dehydrated. When they become flat I start having episodes of tachycardia and dizziness, but the doctor says there is no sign of s.v.t. This is really scary and I don't think the doctor takes me seriously enough because I am only 30. Is there anyone out there that could help me better understand what is going on? Thank you!   

Hi Heather,

Your ejection fraction is well within the normal range, 55-70.  

What is your heart rate when you see the veins go "flat?"  Have they been able to duplicate this while your having an EKG?  

What other tests have you had?

My heart rate is usually 90 to 125 when this happens. And no they haven't duplicated on an ekg because they haven't tried. Sometimes it feels like I am being strangled when it happens

By strangled, you mean like your throat is closing in?

yes it gets really tight.like something is squeezing my neck and throat

Can you describe where you feel this tightening? Is it on the side, front, back? Is it like someone is choking you?

What makes it feel better or worse?

When this happens do you have any visual problems? Loss of vision maybe? Blurriness?

Any anxiety issues?

I feel it along the sides of my neck and on the inside of my throat. Like if someone was choking you. My vision gets blurry. I have some anxiety when it happens.

I'm wondering if you're having a spasm of the carotid arteries.

Still, tell me about the valve?

The doctor said that it is my mitral valve and it is only a very small leak and does not require surgery. I also have pvc's.

Most people have occasional pvc's. It may/may not be an issue. The mitral valve issue is also common. It may be due to an earlier infection.

I'm wondering if you are having esophageal spasms in addition to the pvc's. They can happen. It might be related to GERD.

Do you have frequent heartburn? How about trouble swallowing or a cough?

no frequent heartburn no cough.

That's good. No GERD.

Discuss this with your cardiologist.

Since they can't see this on the EKG because it doesn't happen then, how about setting you up with a Holter monitor for a few days? If you have one of these attacks the electrical activity would be recorded so they could analyze it. It might pinpoint them to what's going on.

A second opinion, and hopefully with a more involved cardiologist, may also be necessary.

Again, your ejection volume is well within normal limits.

Hope it helps.

Keep me posted please.

thanks for your help! And I will keep you posted.:)

My son has these exact symptoms.  He is 21 and we have been unable to find a doctor to diagnose.  He has been experiencing chronic fatigue that will not go away.