I have had a strong "gnawing" sensation in my stomach right under my right rib cage for ten days. The pain became increasingly worse until I was in agony and had to go to the emergency room. They suspected gall bladder issues but during ultra sound they could not locate my gall bladder!! I am in such severe pain any time I have even one bite of food and my stomach becomes extremely extended. It hurts to stand upright and also to lay down. What could this be? It is killing me.

Five years ago, I was having the exact same symptoms you are describing. They too said it was my gallbladder and ended up removing it!!! Needless to say it was healthy. After that, I switched gastronolgists, and after extensive testing he found I had a condition called "intusucception" (telescoping of the intestine). It is common in children under three, and very rare but dangerous for an adult to have. By the time they found it, I was losing a pound a day because my body could not absorb nutrition from the little food I did eat. I would bring this possibility up to your gastronologist, and if he says that it's not likely you have that condition be persistent that he check for it. If I wouldn't have had a good doctor that wouldn't give up until he found what was wrong with me, I wouldn't be here typing this reply to you. Good luck!