My penis has shrunk by 75% after hernia surgey. Is it at all possible that the abdominal incision above the pubic area has caused reduced blood flow to the blood vessels in the area above and around the penile area. Is it possible that the blood flow to the penis could be affected by blood vessels being cut during a hernia procedure? Can it be corrected by re-connecting the vessels via micro-scopic surgery? The shrinkage has occurred steadily over a twelve month period after surgery. I have had the doppler imaging tests and other tests and it has been determined I have a venous leakage. But I don't believe that is the cause of the shrinkage. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this terrible experience.

I also have had significant penial shrinkage after Hernia Laprascopic surgery 7 months ago. And the shrinkage occurred immediately after the surgery as I could tell that my penis appeared to shrink up into my abdomin. My penis before the surgery stuck out 2-3 inches when not erect, now you can only see approx. 1 inch of my penis. When erect, its only 4 1/2 inches, prior to the surgery it was 5 3/4 inches when erect. This is all so very disturbing to me. I have been back to my surgeon who did the operation, and he could not give me any advice to the cause of this. On the contrary, he somewhat acts like its all in my head - but I know my body - and there has to be a connection between the hernia operation and my penis shrinkage. I have also gone to an urologist and all he said was that I had put on weight after surgery and fat had collected in my groin area....he recommended that I go on a diet, although I'm only 10 lbs heavier than my idea weight for my height. Anyway, that advice didnt make sense since the shrinkage was immediately observable right after surgery and hasn't changed for the 7 months since I had the surgery. I have also had trouble getting and maintaining an erection.

Let me back up and say I had laproscopic hernia surgery on two hernias at the same time. One was on my right abdomin, approx 2 1/2 inches to the right of my penis, and one inch up from my penis. The other on the left side, was directly under my left scotum and testicul. I understand from the surgeon, that the mesh was attached inside with an opening to allow the tube/cord from my left testicul to my penis to be unobstructed. There appears to be a blockage here, since that testicul has been swollen since the operation. I am now taking antibiotics for I guess is a bactera infection in this testicul.

I got an unltrsound last week, and it showed that I have bilateral hydroceles, one small on my right testicul and one large on my left testicul. Each epodidymis appears somewhat heterogenous and there is a 4mm right epididymal cyst. Opinion of the doctor reviewing the ultrasound - Bilateral Hydroceles, left greater than right. Each epididymis appears heterogenous. Small right epididymal cysts.

What does all this mean, and is this connected to my penis shrinkage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Theres obviously a couple of things going wrong with this post op surgery - a bactera infection, penis shrinkage and maybe other things. I'm 54 years old, in general good health and weight approx. 235 lbs, 6'3" tall.....belt size before my operation was 38", now its 40" if that information is helpful.

Perplexed2 wrote:

MY FRIEND HAS BEEN GOING THRU THE SAME THING EXCEPT HIS PENIS SEEMES TO BE HELD BACK INTERNALY NOT EVEN FILLING THE FORSKIN WHERE HIS PENIS SCHOULD BE HE GETS ERECTIONS BUT ONLY ENTERNIALLY. FOR SOME REASON IN MY RESEARCH I KEEP LEANING TWARDS THE SURGEON SUTERING HIS PENIS TO ONE OF THE PROLENE PATCHES I PUT IN HIM TO STREANTHEN HIS ABDOMIN WALL ? BUT I CANT SEEM TO GET A DR TO EVEN LOOK INTO THIS THIS IS A MAN THAT HAD A 8 INCH PENIS GOING INTO SURGERY AND NOW HAS 1/2 INCH OF FORSKIN LEFT AND HIS PENIS WILL NOT EVEN SURFIS ITSELF OUT OF HIS BODY. BUT HE CAN FEEL HIS ERECTION ONLY ENTERNALLY PLEASE SOME ONE HELP HIM AS HE HAS REAL BAD MENTAL ISSUES DUE TO THIS IM AFRAID OF WHAT HE MIGHT DO TO HIMSELF AND THE SURGEON WHOM PERFORMED THE SURGERY

I ALSO HAD A INGUINAL HARNIA SURGARY. MT PENIS SINKED SADENLY AFTER SURGARY DO U GET THE ANY TYPE OF TREATMANT   OR CURE OF PENIS GAETTING THE PENIS IN ITS NORMAL PENIS SIZE   PLEASE REPLY  

I had a double inguinal hernia surgery in 2006 in Daytona Beach, Florida by a board certified surgeon.

To this date...my right inner thigh is completely numb. 

I always keep good hygiene but that area tended to smell as if the skin was rotting.  My wife noticed it and I wanted to sue for malpractice but the hospital made me sign a form saying that I could not sue for mal practice and that 'shi* happens' more or less.

I just googled "Penile Atrophy Post Inguinal Hernia Surgery" and this post was the first on the list.

Penile Atrophy is when the penis doesn't get enough blood...and it SHRINKS.

I wasn't very blessed in the penis department to begin with before my surgery but was content enough that I could feel confident in performing and basically just accepting that I had a less than average sized penis.

Now - 6 years later my penis has shrunk by more than an inch when its flacid and by about 2/3 inch when erect.

I think I am going to talk to an attorney at any rate.  I think FULL *ucking disclosure needs to be stated.

To ANY MALE who is thinking about doing this surgery....BUY SOME SUPPORTIVE UNDERWEAR THAT PLATES YOUR ABDOMEN AND GROIN AREA....VS going under the knife for this surgery.

I was told that this was a very painful surgery.  I felt no pain at all...that's because the Board Certified Butcher in Daytona Beach severed my nerves so badly that to this date they have not self healed...add taking away $1.25 from $4.00 and it's just a bad deal.

Even if I had an 8 inch penis I would not want to lose an inch.  Women have boobs that are bigger than my entire cranium yet they go in and get bigger boobs...I have heard of maybe 2 women who had gotten reductions...Pam Anderson being one of them because she wanted her younger sons to respect her.

Case in point - Loss of yards in football = No Good.  Loss of inches in Life = Worst Thing Ever.

Oh yea...I have tried the extenders...they help giving you GIRTH - No doubt there...but not so much length.

One trick I have noticed that has helped me is taping my penis...it actually works better than the extender.

Oh yea  - pre surgery my weight was: 132 lbs at 6 feet tall (I was skinny all my life).

Post surgery: 172 lbs....BEWARE OF THIS SURGERY!!!!!

Too bad surgeons can't fix this problem but can do virtually anything else - brain surgery, Check.  Make a woman into a man, check.

Make a man into a woman, check.  Put in an artificial heart, check. Aiding the male penis towards better health and fruiton.....

LAW DOGS - PUT OUT A CLASS ACTION FOR MEN WHO LOSE PENIS LENGTH AFTER THIS SURGERY - - You'll make your retirement fund in 1 law suit.

you guys have got to be kidding me! i had a vasectomy 7 years ago and have had a smaller, less erect penis ever since. i feel like my penis is retracted into my body a bit. kind of like if you were to get an erection while sitting. no hernia surgery here but the exact same complications. i have been to several doctors and they all say it is all in my head and or a wieght gain issue. i am the same size as i was at graduation! 5'7" 143lbs. 42 years old. where do i go from here?

I had knee surgery to repair a tendon and the same thing happened to me immediately after surgery. My groin area was swallon after surgery but I assumed this was caused by surgery. I noticed the shrinkage and my wife did to. I was going to ask my surgeon if this was common but I guess I may need to see an urologist. This sucks!

What do you mean taping

Ok, my question seems to be a little more different and to the contrary, reversed. Im a female, and my husband has an umbilical hernia. The problem is, when we first got together 16 yrs ago, he was pretty decent sized in the pole department, now since he has had this hernia for at least the past few years (because he was always afraid to have the surgery) his "willie" has decreased by many inches..When he gets an erection now, it is half the size of what it used to be, and when he is non erect,it barely sticks out. Plus it seems that his testicles are HUGE. It has gotten to a point where I really DO NOT enjoy having sex with him anymore due to the size it has shrunk to, plus with the hernia size/weight, he ejaculates very quickly. I cant tell you the last time he has sexually stimulated me. I dont want to hurt his feelings because I love him, but I need satisfaction too? I have ready many of your posts and you talk about shrinkage, so that definitely doesnt make me feel good.. So is this normal..Have any of you other men experienced this..HELP!!

I am sorry to all on this board who have suffered from this problem.  I have this problem also.  The penile shrinkage resulted from the surgery that I had.  The surgery left me with other problems as well.  The surgery wasn't for a hernia, but to remove a enteric cyst.  My penile shrinkage was either caused by the spinal anesthetic or by them paralyzing the left side of my diaphragm which has affected the chamber pressure of the abdominal area or both.  There are four things that I have learned from this terrible experience:

1.  Something happened the day of my surgery that caused my problems.

2.  Doctors, no matter where you go within the United States, will not do or say anything      publicly that finds fault with another doctor.  All of the doctors that I have been to ,which is a large representation of our medical establishment, all follow the same motto "All For One And One For All".

3.  It is extremely difficult to bring a malpractice lawsuit against a doctor because of our legal system's bias towards our doctors and medical establishment.  

4.  Only have surgery if it is a matter of life or death.      

Everyone here has the same problem but no answers I had rectal resection and the same thing decent penis size then nothing b just a but of foreskin pokes out and can feel erections internally I asked the DR. He said see a urologist. Then saw urologist he said use a penis pump no one took me seriously I'm you 42 now this happened at 39. No semen either. Does anyone have answers? ?

I have most of the same problem I ended with hydrocele after 2 surgery's to repair the problem of the hydrocele I ended with my right testis hanging long that it will hit the toilet water and my penis looks as if were a button I to feel that they left most of my member inside my stomach I feel that that was done on purpose mainly cause two of the student female doctors couldn't stop laughing every time they came to visit me

I live in the state of Texas and what I hear is that you can't suit any doctor or hospital , then they have the statue of limitations I am having problems getting doctors to talk about the same problems getting any doctor to talk about it is like finding a needle in a haystack. One doctor did try to help but he seemed to have changed his mind on the following visit. I did get some of the problems fixed but that was after contacting one of my Lawyers where I would say that he must have pulled some strings I found out that some how he also represented the same hospital on an other cases , it was through another doctor that they finally fixed the hydrocele, but as with other people with medical problems in the same area, the explanation given is that its because of age, infection [bacteria] your weight, that's normal, mental , self caused [masturbation] . I just want answers, and an idea on what to do , not only on the size but mainly on the needle stabbing pains that hit my penis and testicles. thank GOD it's not a constant pain, but the pain to my legs is

I too have had considerable shrinkage. I was 62 years old when I had the surgery. My doctor remains aloof to the situation during office visits, and my penis size remains less than before the surgery. I also still get mesh irritation when doing physical work, which I am told is not uncommon. My initial hernia size was minimal and did not both me. My family doctor said it was for the better to have this very simply and safe surgery. A shrinking penis size at 65 is not fun and is very restrictive. I would NOT recommend Laparoscopic Hernia surgery unless the hernia is extremely irritating to you. The follies of modern medicine sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Safe, but sorry!