About 3 months ago I started getting pains in my groin (scrotum). I wasn't alarmed because I had had a vasectomy about 2 years earlier and have had similar pains occasionally. The difference this time was that the pain lasted about 4-5 days. It was accompannied by tightnes in the scrotum and very sensitive testicles. After about a week I noticed a growth almost as large as my testicle.

I had made an appointment to see my family doctor, who had an ultrasound done and referred me to an urologist. The urologist had told me not to worry that after viewing the ultrasound he was confident that it was a sperm granuloma, but since it was bothersome and rather large he recommended having it removed.

I recently had the mass removed from my scrotum. After speaking with the urologist he said it was not a sperm granuloma. It was not attached to anything. It appeared to be a fatty tissue and had since grown in size again from the last time he examined me. Because of the rapid growth he was concerned and was sending the mass to pathology for testing. He seemed puzzled.

My understanding is that for testicular cancer the growth is on the testicle itself. Any ideas?

Hi! It seems to me that you have developed one of those benign fatty tumors called lipoma. I have been reading about them when I had a swelling and before I went to see a doc! I was found to have hydrocele but was pretty worried at the time. I found that although very rare, lipomas in the scrotum are definitely benign. There is one kind called hibernomas that may reoccur. Maybe you had that one. When are you getting analysis from biopsy?

When lipomas are found, they could be removed to perform a biopsy, if they grew to be bigger than 5 cm, if they cause troubles and symptoms like in your case and for purely cosmetically reasons.

I suppose they are taken out so that they can be differentiated from other masses or tumors. Let me know what your results showed!
.

You were exactly right. I got my results today. It appears to the pathologist that it was a lipoma. It was about 5 or 6 cm long. The pathologist has sent it out for a 2nd opinion, because of the quick growth and the fact it was in the scrotum, to be sure.

You are talking to one relieved father and husband. Thanks for the information.

When I was about 28, I noticed a growing bulb on the area under the testicles. It was soft, almost as if it could have been filled with liquid. It was not painful. Turned out it was a completely benign "testicular lipoma". I had surgery to have it removed which was a 1-day outpatient surgery. HOWEVER, this WRECKED my life for more than 3 weeks! Couldn't walk, extreme pain, and we won't even discuss trying to use the bathroom. It turns out that this fatty mass had grown up into the abdominal cavity about the size of a large grapefruit, according to the surgeon, and he had to make about a four-inch long incision to get it all out. He also said that it might grow back.

Now 48, and a little overweight, it has grown back and I can tell that it is not just on the surface (up into the abdominal cavity) because it restricts the range of motion of my left leg (e.g. trying to put on socks). I can also feel a strip of harder tissue in it, which I know is internal scar tissue from the surgery. I have also noticed that when I am gaining weight, it grows as well, and when I lose weight, it seems to subside a bit.

Bottom line: if it is very soft, and not really connected to anything, it is probably just an innocuous lipoma (fat mass). If you decide to have it removed, plan for having your life completely RUINED for at least 3 weeks. AND it will probably grow back.

I will probably just try to live with it this time, for as long as possible.

Did this mass have any discharge or oder?

I was looking for opinions of those who do or seem to have the "mass" I am experienceing, and found your post. I am glad I read this. I was considering having the mass removed when I go for an umbilical hernia repair. This will make me thjink more than twice about it. I don't want to be laid up for three weeks.

At age 32 (in 2005) I had an inguinal hernia repair (left side, done laproscopically), and when I was 38 I went for a physical before getting married. At the time I thought perhaps my hernia repair was breached, as I felt something in my scrotum, again on the left side. It felt almost just like I remembered the hernia feeling. My internist said no, it was just a varicocele (a ball of veins), and that if my wife and I did not have fertility problems then it was nothing to worry about. Having had no trouble with fertility, I considered this an annoyance for the next 7 years, when it had grown and was somewhat more regularly painful. My urologist had an ultrasound done, which revealed a mass of some sort, which he initially thought was neither a varicole nor a hydrocele, but quite possibly something relating to a hernia that needed another repair. I went back to my hernia surgeon, who said he was confident I had no recurrent hernia, but that I should get an immediate CT scan, which I did. The CT read was a possible cord lipoma of very large size (3" x 3" x 2"), and the urologist said that lipomas are very difficult to distinguish from liposarcomas, which are cancerous. Three days later, my urologist had me in surgery, where he removed the large mass, and two days after that the pathology returned with a benign result, much to my relief.

My urologist (very distinguished in his field) says that he believes he removed the entirety of the mass, and that it is unlikely to grow back. Today, four days after my surgery, the swelling and bruising is pretty severe, but that is apparently to be expected. The pain is modest, though actually less than my hernia repair as there is no catheter used, but I will be spending most of the first week on my back and assume it will take 3-4 weeks to be back to normal.

My advice from this is that if you are preliminarily thought to have a varicocele, hydrocele or hernia, make sure you ask about the possibility of lipoma.