I need help.. I'm 17 and I need jaw surgery 3 years from now to correct an underbite that's developed from my top jaw not growing in enough. It's nearly unnoticeable, but it's causing me to have horrible health problems. In the past year I went through a huge growth spurt, and it seems like the underbite has gotten worse. It never bothered me until now. I don't smile anymore. Only a year ago I was fine, and now i'm struggling to make out sentences. My speech has gotten really difficult, and it's caused me to become antisocial because in order to speak fluently now I have to put in a lot of effort. I used to be a very fluent speaker, now i'm afraid to talk to anyone because i'm afraid i'll mess up a sentence and then I get really depressed. I sometimes hate myself because of it. I feel like a waste of life, an accident. I've tried speech therapy and it's still difficult. On top of this it's causing me to have horrible headaches, and jaw pain that never seems to end. My breathing is horrible now too, I can't sleep without my mouth wide open so I wake up with my throat parched. 
The worst part is I can't get surgery for another 3 years. I honestly don't think I can bear 1 more year with this hell. I'm still growing and i'm worried my bite will get worse and I won't be able to speak right anymore. In fact, my dentist told me it is going to get worse. In order to get this surgery i'll need braces for 2 years, which are apparently going to mess up my bite even more.. is that really worth it? This is a complete nightmare, I feel like my life has changed completely in the past year. I just want to die, I don't want anymore pain. I wish I had $100,000 or something so I could just bribe a surgeon to do it earlier. I don't care if I need 2 surgeries. I don't know what to do.. I feel lost. 

you'll have to work closely with your dentist, and i'd advise to do as he says, he knows what hes talking about, dentists have to go through as much school as doctors, braces would probably happen no matter what to hold everything in place, and may even correct ur underbite itself making surgery not needed, if u want you can get another dentists opinion!

The braces are going to "correct" the alignment of my teeth which have angled themselves overtime to compensate for the space. They're going to angle my bottom teeth out and my top teeth in which will put more space between them. There's no way braces could fix this right now, it's a skeletal issue. I'm hoping this new alignment will help me rather than make things worse, but as far as the dentist told me, my speech, breathing, and everything are going to worsen once the braces go in. The only positive I can think of is at least i'll have an excuse for the way I speak, i'll just tell people it's the braces. I'm still upset over this.. I really wanna be myself again I feel like I was a pretty attractive guy before and now I grew up to be like this. I wanna be tall too, but if I keep growing this is really going to suck. 

well being that your seventeen, you don't have MUCH growing left to do, but think about the benefits AFTER the re-alignment is complete, you'll be able to smile with confidence again, medicine has come A LONG WAYS in the last 20 years my friend. ive had some scary moments in my life myself, and im only 23, ive made it through them. the human mind is strong. just have confidence in your dentist and his decisions, and more importantly yourself!... it might be a LONG road depending on your situation, im still on mine, but i make the most of life, as will you! people will accept you for who you are, regardless of whats going on in your mouth, it doesn't make the personality.. you sound like a smart cookie and good things are only going to happen !!

remember the old saying,  things will get worse before they get better! but they WILL get better! believe me. i dont know if this site has an option for private messaging but add me to facebook ( thats what i logged into this site with) and we can talk if you want, maybe i can be an ear for you

BEST OF LUCK!