I am so concerned about something that I have noticed at my ten-month-old daughter. I saw she has overbite because her two upper teeth and two lower teeth are not placed well. Her problem is that two upper teeth fall behind the lower teeth when she bites. I had a friend with an underbite that was corrected when she was an adult. Does anyone have young children with this condition and could it be repaired before she became adult?

I have exactly the same situation, because my daughter had the same type of underbite. When I took her to the doctor she was 2 years old, and doctor fitted her for a retainer. She was not very afraid about wearing the headgear and thank goodness, she had to take it only at night. We did not want to her to have to face jaw surgery as an adult because of her underbite. Her underbite was gradually corrected, and she just got braces later during few years. I remember when she was two I would sit in the chair and have her lay on top of me for checkups. I had to do it since she was a little bit apprehensive about the whole idea. I was wondering where her underbite could have come from. I could not understand, because none of the other family members had an underbite problem. That is why I asked the doctor and he said that since my daughter had a rather wide, flat tongue, it would push against her lower teeth. Her lower jaw would extend forward to try to accommodate the tongue, and this was the reason for her underbite.

Hello - My son is 2 and has an underbite as well. I just took him in for his 2 year check-up and told his pediatrician about the underbite she suggested getting him into see the dentist... So Mirabile was your daughter treated with a retainer by your pediatrician or a dentist? I'm thinking now I better get him to a dentist ASAP and if I need to follow up with the pediatrician after that then I will. I don't want my son to have to have jaw surgery. My SIL had this issue and had the surgery at 17 and said it was extremely painful. Thanks in advance.