i have a sharp pain in my right shoulder blade/upper back area. This has been going on for a few years now. It comes and goes, stays for a couple weeks and then i'm fine for a month, few months and then its back. When it does hurt it is a constant pain, especially when i take in a deep breath, that is only somewhat subsided when i keep my shoulder moving, lifting, stretching etc... otherwise the pain is near excruciating. I've had Ankylosing Spondylitis , arthritis which effects the curvature of the spine since age 12 (im now 27), but the pain doesnt feel arthritic as far as i can tell. I've yet to see a doctor because that's what i tend to do.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Someone please fix me.

Hi honey! 1st of all a BIG hug! 2nd as you are aware AS can cause Scolyosis of the spine and also affect your rib cage! You need to have another xray to see if the AS has spread to your rib cage! I know you don't want to hear this, BUT if it isn't AS and it is more related to the scoliosis, then there are MANY things that can be done for this curvature! In the city where I live, they actually do surgery to straighten the spine and give back the patients full breathing and to start walking straight etc. Do NOT have anythign to do with Chiropractors, BUT massage is the best thing for tense muscles that are attached to your bones! My sister has AS, and myself and my 2 sons have a Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and possibly another syndrome of our own!!!! So I totally understand how you are feeling! Have you noticed if you are having trouble with deep breaths etc?

yes, my pain is pretty much constant but taking a large breath and coughing hurt more than anything. Pressure from the outside has no effect, feels good if anything. Good advice on the Chiropractor, i actually went to see one as a teenager before my AS was diagnosed and that was an extremely painful experience and ive refused to see one since

Hi honey! You need to see your Rheumatologist OK? Also I don't know where you live or whats available, but my sister had GREAT relief from Acupuncture, and of course massage! If my massage therapist quit I would cry a river! I love her , but when she is easing the "knots" I tell her "It's a good thing you ar standing behind me and I can't get up right now!!!" LOL I suppose your hips are hurting too with all of this extra pressure on one side! So the sooner you get some relief - hydrotherapy is a MUST! The better OK?