I have been running in the same shoes for several months. My sister told me that I should change my running shoes every month. It seems too frequent to me. Are they really completely useless after just one month of running? For how long should I keep my running shoes?

Usually, they are not. But the key word here is not time but mileage. So if you ran 3 miles two times a week for a month your shoes should be in good condition. But if you run some 60 miles a week, after a month your shoes are getting closer to their retirement. Good and quality running shoes should be replaced every 300 – 500 miles. So you see it is not important how long you do have them but how many miles have you run in them. On the other hand if you feel any discomfort or pain during running and know that it comes from the shoes you should replace them immediately.