I started smoking at the age of 15, in 1997. I was a smoker of Marijuana, Cigars, and Cigarettes for 14 years. The Marijuana high was great so that smoke was much needed. The cigarettes and cigars were only for pleasure and to be cool with the peers. I smoked constantly. I always remembered as a kid my vow to quit smoking when I would start to hurt myself. I knew eventually I would quit. I made that choice when I picked up my first cigarette when I first started. It was just to enjoy myself for the time being. My lungs were exposed to smoke day in and day out and it was taking a serious toll on me. I had to quit smoking because of intense pains thru out the sides of my lungs. There was major pain in the left side of my lung under my armpit. Some days I thought i was going to die. I quit in Nov. 4, 2011 after 14 years.

The first 2 months, I would have major pain in the center of my chest. Some days it felt like 80 pounds weight on my chest. I begin a lung detox routine. I started doing slow cardiovascular workouts and taking hot showers. I started to cough up phelm with grey specs in.

5 months after i quit, i finally coughed up some black stuff. It was black like i spit out some black oil, and I felt much better. No more chest pains, except when i pushed myself too hard in a workout.

November came and it was my anniversary. I had been eating edible Marijuana snacks to get by and there was no more pain in my lungs. A great deal to buy some marijuana flowers came up. I bought 3 ounces and smoked 3 ounces from November to December 29th. Towards the end all my pain came back. The heavy weight in my chest came back and the serious pain under my left armpit.

Time to quit again. I was thinking maybe unless I get an extremely good vaporizer, I vowed to never smoke again. But the mind grasping pain that lead me to believe I was dying came back. I am even ready to quit the vaporizer. I want nothing to touch my lungs as they recover again. Back to edibles again. A little pricy but they are the best high and the only alternative I see to getting totally bombed out on Marijuana.

The first week. I would constantly expel black tar from my lungs and had major shortness of breath. I would stretch out. Touching my right shoulder with my left hand and left shoulder with my right hand and cough. I would cough up mucus with little black specs in it. Back on the lung detox routine. Exercise, eating and breathing exercises.

2 weeks I coughed up a huge ball of tar and ash, and continuously spit with black specs in it after wards.

1 month after now and I feel a lot better. The pain comes and goes but the amount of black ash, and tar that comes out of my chest with mucus has been reduced.

Things that have helped me outside my routine are that I would recommend are very high anti-oxidant diet including broccoli. Drinking milk and eating spicy foods which create mucus to help to expel junk from the lungs. Be sure to spit it out instead of swallowing the toxins. Expectorant pills are good with Guaifenesin in it.

My progress is not complete as the healing will continue. The main thing is never to go back to damaging your lungs. This experience is not a friendly one to go thru. I will be glad to update my progress at a later time as well as hear your story if you had to deal with severe pain from quitting smoking.

Good day, we have the same experience. After I quitting smoking my chest starting to aching. And I  always paranoid to think that it was a very chronic disease. I'm stoic because I'm afraid of consulting a Doctor, I hope that your advise to eat broccoli, spicy foods and drinking milk would impairs the pain in my pain. Regards.

I was very scared too when the pain was there. It is very hard. I wish you the best of luck.

Currently I feel so much better. No more pain. I cut back from my special diet as well. I don't cough up black spit anymore. I think I coughed up the major junk that was causing pain to me out of my lungs. Only once in a while, like after a workout and a hot shower I'll cough up something black and grey or with black specs in it. I will continue to exercise and eat healthy though. My progress is not complete as the healing will continue. The main thing is never to go back to damaging your lungs.

Can I purchase expectorant pills without prescription of my Doctor?

"getting totally bombed out on Marijuana." - hahahahaha. You're funny.

Yes you can.

what would you call it?

I feel so much better now a days. The damage from smoking was incredible. No more pain, only some chest pains sometimes when I am doing cardiovascular workouts. I had an EKG done and everything seems to be fine. My doctor wants to do several more tests. They will have me plugged in while I run on a treadmill and I will have x-rays of my lungs. I still consider myself in the healing process.

I smoked for over three decades - now about two months using the patch which is working well for me.  I breath easier but my lungs are reminding me that they have been over-worked.

Physically I feel like c**p though; tired, sore chest & back.  Some days it feels like I've been beaten.  I know it is this body healing and cleansing, I know it is part of the process and it will get better it will pass.

I wanted to share this because when I mentioned the way I've been feeling to medical people they got this terrified look passing over their faces.  It was as if I said something they had never heard before and then starting talking heart troubles and testing for this and that.

The most I agreed to was a blood test.  I will give myself extra time to rest and heal.

please update i am very curious how you are doing?

Any update here guys? I still suffer from chest pain left side. Its been 103 days now since my last puff I dont know what to do I feel like I have a heart disease.