My friend has been diagnosed with Paratyphoid fever. She had high fever and headache. She was on ampicillin treatment for three weeks and then her doctor will see what next. She is better now. I did some research on the net about what causes this fever. I found out that it is bacteria called Salmonella paratyphi discovered by H. Shuttmuller. I would like to hear more about this. Thank you.

There are three strains of Salmonella paratyphi that had been discovered by H. Shuttmuller. There are S. schottmuelleri also called S. paratyphi C and S. hirschfeldii called S. paratyphi B. Paratyphoid fever has three stages. An early stage marked by high fever, second stage a toxic stage with abdominal pain and intestinal symptoms, and a long period of recovery from fever. In adults, these three phases may cover a period of 4-6 weeks. In children, they are shorter and may cover 10 -14 days.