Hello, I am 46 year old, African-American. I’ve been diagnosed with Paratyphoid fever. My symptoms were: headache, loss of appetite, vomiting. I have to bee on antibiotics for next three weeks. I hope I won’t need a surgery. It seems that bacteria called S. schottmuelleri caused this condition or Salmonella paratyphi. I would like to know what the prognosis for this condition is. Thank you.

Paratyphoid fever is sometimes called Salmonella paratyphi infection, because it is caused by bacteria Salmonella paratyphi C syn. S.schottmuelleri. It is a serious contagious disease. I am surprised that you are not vaccinated for this. You should be under constant monitoring for signs of complications. About prognosis, well, most patients with paratyphoid fever recover completely, although intestinal complications can result in death.