I started getting this in late winter 2007 and I get it a few times a year now. I’ve taken vitamins off and on throughout my life, I’m not deficient in anything, and have been on a few different meds since 2011. It happens all seasons, with or without pollen and in different buildings and only happens when I’m in Florida, indoors. It’s annoying and I have a migraine!

I'm glad to have found this article...as I have been smelling exhaust smells for a few years, but not daily..once in awhile.. different houses...summertime I'd think weird that exhaust from the street would climb 2 flights, but could still smell it with the windows closed and winter time...

I just started experiencing this today. I asked my husband if he smelt exhaust when he came home from work - he said no. I also, changed clothes took a shower.

One thing, can this be stress related? I have had an immense amount of stress lately.

Perhaps this is a prodromal symptom of migraine. I periodically get the pervasive scent for days. Will try the B vitamins next.

I’ve heard it can be a prodromal symptom of migraine; personal experience supports this theory, as well.

This thread is a bit old, but wondered if anyone had any updates on how their conditions are?

I was told it could be a sign of a neurological disorder. For instance, siezures, stroke, head injury, brain tumor, Alzheimers & the list goes on. I will visit my family Dr or my neurologist tomorrow.

Well, this is interesting. I have been having this issue for quite a while. I kept thinking that I was just going a bit odd. I have been under massive, longterm stress. Survival issues. It has affected me on a grand physical scale-to a point that survival issues may take a back seat. My new physical issues added a cortisol dump that added strange pockets of fat on my thin body, terrible hot moments, my hair turning white, and an exhaust fume smell. This came on the heels of my newest issue-my home was robbed and my "fur children" hurt in March. I see that ppl are taking a B vitamin, which I have not tried... I try to stay natural as much as possible. In the past, I did use medications, but the side effects were worse than the help that they gave me. I thank those who have written with their issues, and possible solutions. Thank you.

Did you find out why? I smell exhaust everywhere and have been dizzy for a week now

May 2018-- yes-- more recent reply here than the pages and pages of similar symptoms . . . this past weekend I took our son to a professional RC car indoor race in Vegas. The cars ran on nitro fuel and the exhaust was heavy in the air. the smell issue didn't start for me until after this event and I'm hoping it is due to 2 days of breathing these fumes. reading through the posts there are three common themes: 1) chronic neurological issues such as epilepsy or phantom odor issues, 2) recently (w/in the last year) quit smoking, and 3) recent exposure to fumes/chemicals. many try to attribute it to some type of nutritional imbalance but I read no evidence that supplements or stopping medication cleared up the symptoms.

Im having same issues but have not been around chemicals

I believe you are correct. I experience this occasionally, but then it goes away. I also noticed that if i push against the side of my nose with narrowing, due to an untreated deviated septum, I experience what I describe as air pressure leaving my ear. It seems to affect the sinuses.

I quit smoking a month ago and the exhause started two weeks ago.

Happens to me when I forget to take my B12 for more than a few days. It's miserable!

I started having this bizarre problem a couple of months ago. It seems to come from the same place in my apartment, but I don't think there is anything there. I asked someone and they said they couldn't smell anything. I am going to get a second opinion. It smells like gasoline fumes or exhaust fumes. It is frustrating because I have never had a problem like this before. It is hard finding information about it on the internet. For now rubbing Tiger Balm in my nostrils staves it off. You think in the back of your mind, "I am just seeing things. It will go away." If it continues I am going to see my doctor for it.