I've been having this for like 3 weeks now I went to ENT on Monday 6/5/17 they gave me Steroids Called Prednisone 6 pills in one shot for the first 4 days the 4 pills for the next 4 days then 3 then 2 then 1 the 12 hours till its over along with Amoxilin 500 Milligram Along with Nasal Spray its getting worst but again haven't completed the pills follow up in 3 weeks hopefully it gone

I have also read that a sinus infection can cause you to 'smell' carbon dioxide fumes

Did B complex work?

I have this ever since I had a concussion (a few years now). I think only now I realise it is related to seasonal pollen. I know that this time of year the nettles are heavily flowering and also some ligustrium like bush in my garden. It is only now that I put together that this is an annual thing and will disappear later in the summer. This may not directly fit your circumstance but many posts here sound like me with a recurring annual problem. One more note since the concussion my sense of smell changed and things like a greasy oven will really stink.

Try looking at mold....that may be your issue

I began having this problem last week when our neighborhood was having our asphalt street seal coated. It may have been coincidence, but I began to smell exhaust fumes in our house and I began feeling the inside of my nose and sinus passages burn as well as my eyes and throat and developed a headache and nausea. I felt that way for 4 days and we went away for the long holiday weekend. It took 24 hours but by that time the headache went away and I began to feel myself again with all symptoms going away. We got back home yesterday afternoon and within 3 hours, I could smell it and had all of my symptoms in full force. Our home was and has continued to be closed up and the AC is running. My husband, who has a better sense of smell than me, smells nothing in our home but could smell the sealcoat fumes outside. I thought they were the same, but now I think the smell inside our home is from something else but am puzzled why he cannot smell it when it is making me feel so awful??

Just wanted to see if you have gotten over the exhaust smells? I don't take any medications and I'm not around chemicals either. It started out of the blue yesterday but I hardly got any sleep last night, it's making my head pound right in the front and I'm sick to my stomach. Going to the pharmacy to get a B complex in just a few minutes! I can't believe other people have this same thing happen!!!

I JUST went through this myself- identical symptoms! One night, we were stuck in a drive through line behind a 70s pick up truck spewing the most foul exhaust. It filled our car and we had no way to escape it. It was horrible! For the next 4 weeks I smelled the intense exhaust just as you described. It would NOT go away. I scoffed at online suggestions for vitamin supplements, however, I'm a fan of oregano oil capsules and has some on hand. Took 3x/day for first few days, then 2x/day. About 3 days of that and I noticed improvement. Then, it returned, but not st all as bad as at first. Out of desperation I bought the best multivitamin I could find - and added 1 high quality Vitamin B12 tablet. I had SIGNIFICANT improvement with 3 days, complete resolution after 5-6 days.
It may have resolved on its own without the supplements, or maybe not- regardless - I urge you to try it!

I woke up with a stuffy nose and used some nose spray and have been smelling "car exhaust fumes" all day! Do you think the nose spray started the smell?

Same experience with the smell but it just returned when I started taking my multivitamin. This is so confusing. I don't know what to do!!! Now I will stop the vitamin and see if it goes away.

Thanks! I'll try this. I get it from time to time and it's quite disconcerting.

Wow... I did the same thing.. I shut off my gas water heater and still smelled it. I even unplugged my refrigerator. Then thought it was from the A/C. Now I am wondering If the scent is coming from when the sun goes through the double pane argon windows. I thought it was something in my last house and now it came back several months later in a new house. I started taking B12 like some post suggested and I stil had a reoccurrence.

i was smeling fumes so bad to the point my eyes felt like watering. its been off and on and now my head shakes like someone with parkanson. has anyone exsperianced this

I am a physician and this hydrocarbon smell thing started when i switched from paxil to wellbutrin last week. I researched the literature and most get used to it or it goes away. There are claims that zinc may help though i am going to wait it out.

Did it go away? Mine just started!