I have recently been told I have to have a tonsillectomy by my ENT. The reason is I have asymmetrical tonsils and one needs a biopsy. This is worrying enough then I come on here and read all the horror stories! I am now beside myslelf with worry and panic. Don't get me wrong - forewarned is forearmed and it's good to have an idea what to expect.

Also, I am not a baby and fully expect to be in a horrendous amount of pain. But could anyone with a more positive experience post and reassure me that not everyone has complications. It feels like everyone does. People I know keep telling me not to get it done but this is a no choice situation and right now I'm so tearful and scared I just need some reassurance that not everyone's experience is so dreadful with all the post op complications.

:'( Hey Foxy. I am 29 yrs old and had a Tonsillectomy on Monday, NOV 13, I am on day 7. I don't have any horror stories due to complications, however, I am not going to pad the situation by telling you this is an easy recovery. I also read up on all the entries before I went in and had mine done. I don't scare easily and felt good that there was a place I could go to get honest feedback from other's experieences.

I am suppose to go back to work tomorrow, as I have a desk job, so it is nothing strenuous...however, I'm not seeing how that is going to be possible for me. When I left the hospital, they supplied me with 400 ML of Oxycodone. I was to take 1-2 teaspoonfulls every 4 hours as needed. FORGET THAT!!! I think I was taking 2 tsp every 2 hrs. The meds do not last long. i ran out on day 5 and tried calling my doctor who wasn't in. On day 6 I went in and saw any doctor that was available. He prescribed me the same medication IN PILL FORM..he must be nuts. These I am suppose to take 1 every 6 hours. I'm dying here. The jaw, ear and throat pain has become unbearable. To say the least.

The first 4-5 days were decent. Because the liquid form did help, only because I was pretty much taking double the dose. However, they tell you that eating cold things such as ice chips and popsicles will sooth your throat, for me that was a bunch of c**p. I tried a popsicle the first day and 1.) couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get it in and 2.) swallowing, no matter how cold it was, was not happening. As the days went on and I was getting used to my meds and doses, I was able to start eating sorbet. The entire time I have been forcing the ice water down too. I can't imagine how horrible this would be if I was dehydrated.

Anyway. Here it sits that my pain meds don't work worth a c**p. I have to cut the pill into tiny pieces and it feels like I'm swallowing shreds of glass. I am having no relief from the pain AT ALL. I am going to go see my surgeon tomorrow and get some more of the liquid stuff. At least that knocks me out for an hour or two so that I don't have to deal with the pain.

I hear that my next step is the scabs falling off which is also not suppose to be pleasant. Gee, I can't wait.

The only thing I recommend is BE STRONG. Take the meds. DRINK THAT WATER!!!! And take any help that people are willing to give you! I have a 2 yr old son that loves to play. That is the biggest downfall of all of this is that I miss playiing and laughing with him so much. Oh, i'm going to start to cry, which is something I don't recommend, cuz then you get all snotty and it hurts like hell to blow your nose!

As you can see, I'm not one to sugar coat anything. It's a hard recovery, but look at it this way.....it won't kill you! Hang in there! Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply Shambambo.

I hope your recovery gets easier - it sounds awful and I feel for you, especially as you have a little boy.

I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to hear about easy recoveries. I had already been pre warned about the pain and that's something I know I'll have to deal with - I don't have any choice - I had 4 wisdom teeth removed several years ago with major complications and I thought I'd never experience pain like that again. Guess I was wrong!

What was and is worrying me more are the tales of bleeding and haemmoraging etc. That terrifies me more than the pain.

Good luck with your recovery and again, sorry if I implied I wanted the pain side of things sugar coating. I don't at all - like you say, it's good to be prepared.

My biggest fear are complications and the dreaded wait for the biopsy results - if anyone has been through this op for the same reasons ( i.e suspected malignancy ) and had a happy outcome I'd love to hear about it.

Foxy,
It's only a very few percentage that has complications. As long as you are fairly healthy to start with and follow the post op instructions, like drinking all your fluids, you should be fine!

I have not had a single complication, unless you count running out of pain meds!!!

Good luck, I'm rootin for ya!

--Shannon

Thanks so much for your reply Shannon. It has put my mind at rest about complications and at least I'm prepared for the pain!

I am now on shortlist for the op and just waiting for the call to go in.

I hope you are doing a lot better now and over the worst.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

L

I had my surgery on 12/4 and I was in and out in a few hours. Today is my first day back at work and I have my post op appt this afternoon. The first and second day were not to bad with eating but it got worse as the days went on. After reading all this posts I think I am in average recovery. They prescribed me liquid codeine which I take every 4 hrs. It seems to help with the pain and makes you sleepy. The foods I ate last week were, jello, soup, pudding, applesauce, push pops and icecream. Some days the warm stuff felt better and somedays it wasn't so good. Try and get soup with not to much chunky stuff in it that you would have to chew. I made myself drink water though it was hard I just forced myself because they said dehydration will make the pain worse. My ear pain wasn't terrible but it helped putting a heating pad wherever I had pain. It also helps to prop your head up a little bit when sleeping at night. I can't sleep through the night yet so I think it will take awhile. That is when the pain is the worst. Don't be nervous about the surgery! Just be strong and do what they say. I just kept thinking I have to drink water or I'm going to be sick. Good Luck! I'll let you know how I feel later this week.

Thanks a lot for your reply Mcp.

Hope you're feeling a lot better after your surgery and your recovery has been good? You're coming up to 2 weeks so you should hopefully be feeling a lot better and will be able to eat lots over the festive season!

Still no date on mine except sometime after Christmas. I think the waiting's the worst!

Anyway, hope you're doing ok.

Im feelin pretty good today. I was so scared after reading all the horror stories. But my family tell me I act as though I didn't have the surgery (I've been cleaning and cooking....) It does hurt to swallow and occasionally when I go a little too long without my pain meds, I get a little sore throughout my neck area. I came home from the hospital yesterday and was cleaning and talking and playing with my kids. I've been told that the worst has yet to come though. So I guess we'll see.

I am a 19 year old male and i just had my tonsils removed almost three weeks ago. Not only did i get my tonsils removed, i had adenoids removed, uevula trimmed, nasal spur removed, and i also had a deviated septum. So technically i had 5 surgeries done at once. I will admit that it has been painful. Days 1-3 were not to bad. Days 4,5, and 6 would of had to be the worst. I had 3 hours of sleep a night for those days. Ever since then, the pain has began to slowly slowly decrease. I found that popscicles and Ramen noodles were the best thing in the world. I am still having earaches when i swallow and when i yawn, it hurts my throat. But i would definately say that i am about 85% healed. I beleive the surgery was defnatly worth it. After 7 surgeries in one month (had titanium screws put in my ankles, and obivously everything with the tonsilectomy...) i think im doing pretty well. You will get through the surgery just fine, sometime you will think about killing yourself thinking, WHY DID I GET THIS SURGERY!!! lol but it all gets better.

Today is 5 days postop. I can't believe the pain, when I try to sleep I snore, and sleep on 2-3 hours per night. What is with that. I snore lightly before and now...I am 45 years old, and this is very painful. I am exhausted, and nap a couple of times a day for an hour or two. This is driving me nuts. The first 2 days were a breeze, I slept the second night all night now days 3, 4, 5 2-3 hours. Oh each day I'm sure will be better.

I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago and things went smoothly. Im 36 yo and have 3 kids to take care of. I went in on Friday morning came home before noon comfortably. I was wiped out but comfortable. I even got sick from the anesthesia (not too common, I just dont do well with anesthesia. and it didn't hurt too bad to throw up...sorry for the details) I have to say the throat pain I found tolerable (Im don't have a high tolerance for pain) but i was very TIRED. I slept most of the weekend into the following week and kept taking the liquid Roxidet during the day and planned on drinking after being medicated. It did make me nauseous but again to sit and talk my throat did not hurt. Swallowing liquids and saliva got tricky with the discomfort but nothing you cant handle. I really didnt get my energy back till the following thurs but I have to say the pain wasn't the what I expected it wasn't as bad. Be prepared for 1-2 week recovery, take your pain medicine around the clock for the first few days, and be prepared to have people help you out. Believe me if I can do it with 3 kids and a low pain tolerance you can. I wish all the best with everything. Its hard to read all these stories cause people dont really write about good experiences here. Take care and well wishes to yoU!

I had my tonsils taken out tuesday 3/10. So far just minor bleeding. I'm not taking the perscribed oxycodone. I'm taking tylenol es instead. Not big on pain killers. I had my tonsils removed because they wanted a biopsy on on. I had one swollen painless tonsil that almost looked like cancer. The results came back yesterday as chronic tonsilitis. Now I just gotta heal. Good luck u should be ok