For a very long time I've had this problem. A lump of phlegm would somehow deposit in my throat. I can't swallow it, it stays there. Takes some intense coughing to get rid of it, and I can get rid of it only when it is large enough. It would reappear within hours of clearing throat.

When it comes out it is very sticky, and very smelly. The color is translucent white most of the time, and sometimes it is off-white. 

Someone please identify the problem. What is this condition called?

OMG! I have the same problem, but my phlegm is yellowish. I went to my ENT doctor in October of 2011 and I was told that it is post nasal drip/fungal infection. I was prescribed Biaxin for 10 days and that actually worked for the 10 days I was on it. Unfortunately, my symptoms returned as soon as I stopped the meds. This experience is so frustrating and humiliating. I have been to several doctors and no one seems to have a cure. Meanwhile, I'm like a social outcast at work because my breath smells dreadful due to this neverending PND/infection.

it is tonsil stones!