I am doing an assignment on for part of my first year credit at uni, and was wondering if anybody has had their stomach stapled?
If you have and wouldn't mind answering some, if possible all of the questions below, i would be very greatful.
Thanks!!!!

What complications were made aware to you about the procedure?
Was this procedure made available to you on the NHS (if a uk habitant)?
What happended to your digestive processes?
How did you stomach look/ feel?
What vitamins were you advised to take?
And finally....
Are the staples able to be taken out at any point and can you have them put back in?

Thanks you very much for taking the time to do this.
Lacy- saige

I’m 56 yrs. old man and it’s almost a year after I had Rouen-Y Gastric By-Pass or better known as stomach stapling. I have diabetes and had more than 120 lbs. overweight. I tried a lot of diet plans and lost hundreds of pounds by repeated dieting but I gained back every pound again. Because of my overweight I couldn’t walk around and it was the real problem for my health. My doctor suggested me this kind of surgery, and I really doubt on this. At the end, it was the best solution for me. The surgery was very simple and professional. They used micro cameras and instruments, to rearrange my stomach and part of my small intestine to create a new stomach pouch. Before they did it, they showed me some illustrations of the thumb-sized pouch which should gonna be10x smaller then the stomach itself. This is created and designed to limit the entry of food into the stomach. After surgery I had no pain except a bit itchy parts on the stitch area. After 2 months I lost 105 pounds. Now I’m eating whatever I want and I feel really great. I talked with some people who had bad complications about this mostly because the surgeons screwed it up, but I really have good experience and this is the only way that helped me to get rid off my overweight. Now I’m eating less then ever before and I feel good, because my “small stomach” don’t allow the food and calories pass through.

Finally I have no problems with choosing clothes, I’m doing 2 different physical activities weekly and I must confess I really feel great. Currently I don't want to remove the staples because I’ve heard it’s possible to gain the weight back again. I hope this would help you :-)

I have some info but it's not based on my personal experience.

In stomach stapling surgery an incision will be made in the patients’ abdomen. It will be created a small pouch at the top of the stomach. This pouch is not completely closed off from the rest of the stomach. A small opening allows the partially digested food to move into the rest of the stomach.

But also there's another, for me better method approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2001 and already used in Europe for a number of years. There will be a small band placed around the upper part of the stomach and it will create a small pouch to make you feel full sooner. However, it allows the health professional to adjust the size of the opening between the pouch and the stomach according to your need.

Risks common to all surgeries for weight loss include an infection in the incision and it can result peritonitis and possible blockage of blood flow, known as pulmonary embolism.

About 1/3 of all people with such surgery develop possible nutritional deficiency condition such as anemia or osteporosis. 1/4 of those who had stomach stapling surgery may need a second operation because the connection between the stomach and the intestines narrows leading to nausea and vomiting. Also by 3 of 10 people the staples pull loose of the time. It's also noticed by some patients that the band may begin to wear through the stomach wall.

Anyone else here with Rouen-Y Gastric By-Pass?

Thanks you both very much,for your information and experiences. This is going to help me so much in my assignment. It has also cleared up a few queries of my own about it!!
Thank you

Lucy is obviously a fat cow.

Why not get off your fat lazy arse and do some proper work instead of mincing around

Kilbarchan

hi there:

I had my stomach staples in 1991. Never regretted it . I weighed 283 when i went in and 115 now. The complications made aware to me was unable to eat for some while and soreness for a long period of time and even death occurs in some patients. Im constipated all the time. my stomach is fine. has a small scar and some loose skin, but i hide it well.multi vitamins and iron . i guess you can have them out of you have complications. But you would have to do the procedure again i guess if you wanted them put back in. im not sure about the last question.

I had stomach stapling in 1989. I gained all the weight back plus 10 pounds within 5 years. It's possible.

Firstly this it to Kabachan, Lucy probably does want this for her assignement but it doesn't matter if she wants it for herself. I am 17 and i came across this because i was looking for details about whether i could get this operation on the nhs. There is nothing wrong being on the bigger side some people prefer being like that and some people have gone on the lager side when they were younger and now are trying to change themselves. You shouldn't judge people because of their size, get to know them and then see if you can judge them or not.

This post was helpful to me because of the answers were given basically answered my questions. It's like they say don't judge a book by it's cover read it first.