I am new to cycling. I would like to become a good rider. I heard that you have to have strong legs for cycling. I have very thin legs and my girlfriend is always teasing me. Is it true that strong legs are important for cycling? What can I do about it?

It is true. Without strong legs you won’t be able to ride up hill or sustain good speed on a long distance. It takes specific training to achieve top results in cycling. But strong legs are foundation for every serious rider. Good thing is that you can have strong legs too. Riding high speed intervals can help you gain speed and effectiveness. However you will have to lift weights to build muscle mass in legs. Nothing beats weight exercises in developing strength, power and muscle mass.

Yes, strong legs are needed for a good ride. But we are not all born with strong legs so we have to work to create it. You can still cycle and your leg muscles will eventually develop. But as zeb wrote, building weights is the best technique for that, and the fastest.