I am an average cyclist. This doesnt mean that I am satisfied with it. I want to improve my speed. I was told that I should start to lift weights and build some muscle mass. That sounds logical doesnt it? Bigger muscles mean greater power. What are your suggestions regarding the cyclists weight training?

Good choice. There is almost no athlete regardless of the main sport he is in, that is not involved in weight training. Only bigger and trained muscles can carry out the load necessary for the victory. You have to know one thing. While building your muscle mass you will have to decrease the amount of other training. That means less cycling. In fact, during the power and mass phase of the training you will cycle only for maintenance. There will be plenty of time for hard cycling when you switch to the definition phase of your muscle building workouts. At that time you will be maintain your mass while improving your speed. You will be surprised how fast you can gain speed with newly developed muscles.