Hello. I’ve started cycling recently and I’m still trying to learn the basics. Now, since I don’t know anybody who can show me the ropes I have to do everything on my own. When I was reading about cycling yesterday I saw that there are certain 53x12 intervals. I’ve tried to find out what it refers to but I couldn’t. Can you tell me something about this?

This refers to a type of large gear. I’m also the beginner but I think that has to do with adjusting the bicycle crankset in order to achieve certain speeds. All those adjustments are used in order to reach a desired cadence. Cadence actually denotes how many times the crank revolves per minute. In plain language, it’s the speed at which you’re turning the pedals. For example, if you’re a recreational rider the number of revolutions per minute for your bike should be 60-80. Famous pro cyclists can reach even 120rpm. There are even devices that measure the cadences. So, you should find out which cadence is the most comfortable for you and stick to it. Certain bikes have gear that allows setting your favorite cadence.