I have been cycling for a couple of years. Nothing serious. Just me and my friends having a good time. We had a bet. Each one of us has to sustain long ride at average cycling speed for 6 hours. I am not sure at what speed I should ride to be able to duplicate the race conditions. What is the average cycling speed?

It is a good idea. Try to get the feeling people have at the race. Regarding the pace the average speed is 20 mph for many people even on long distances. Pros like the guys on Tour De France average at 25 mph riding some 2,200 miles even when we include hills and mountains. If you are unable to ride at average speed, start with what you can and work up to the average cycling speed gradually. Just try to be your best. You can train to increase your speed. You have to schedule your workouts in such manner that you slowly increase the speed over the weeks and months, you will make it.