I consider myself a good rider. I like bikes and so do my family. On weekends we all go out in the country and enjoy beautiful scenery, mild wind, sunshine and beautiful smell of the flowers. I want to increase long distance speed. What is the best way of doing it?

Well, you have to build, strength, stamina and endurance. You have to give yourself a time to achieve that. Even a small speed improvement means a whole lot more energy spent. Intervals are a good way to improve your form and shape. Although you may find this unattractive, you can consider lifting weights to build some muscle mass. Only stronger muscles can take the greater load. Do not worry that you will start to look masculine. Women have 10 times less testosterone and are unable to develop huge muscle mass unless they take steroids. I trust that you are smart enough not to do so.