I keep hearing about cycling gear ratios. I am new to cycling and don’t have the faintest idea what is this all about. Do I need to learn more about it? Is it important to me or to everyone? I would appreciate your info on this since my friends were not able to explain it to me.

Not many people can tell you the exact figures about this. There are several reasons for that. First many people do not understand it. Second if you are strong cyclist, you don’t need it. Third, most of the people are not on good terms with math. Is this important to you? Well, cadence and gearing are important for the newcomers and the people with weak leg muscles. It all comes down to calculating your cadence, repetitions per minute and gears. If you don’t have strong leg muscles that can sustain steep ascend for a quite some time then you have to calculate this ratios in order to ride uphill at most favorable gear and speed and avoid getting tired too soon.