My daughter is an opiate addict. she's been on suboxone for 3 months and just found out she's 8 weeks pregnant. I'm sick about it. She's recently weaned down to 1mg a day. She tried to quit cold turkey for the baby and couldn't do it. She says the withdrawal symptoms are worse than detoxing off oxys or heroin. Should she try to get off and suffer in the first trimester? Should she wait til the second trimester? How is this going to effect the baby? I don't want a baby born that has to go through these withdrawal symptoms. How awful would that be! What should she do? Any advice out there?

You and your daughter don't have anything to worry about... There aren't MANY studies with pregnancy and Suboxone, but I too am pregnant (due March 2nd) and my doctor said that babies delivered by mothers who were on Suboxone rather than Methadone are healthier and don't become addicted... If she were on Methadone, she'd have to have her baby take medication for withdrawl from the Methadone, whereas with the Suboxone, the baby doesn't become dependent... My doctor knows how to deal with pregnancy because she has had several patients on the Suboxone program who have delivered healthy, happy babies, so no worries :-) Good luck to your daughter and congrats Grandma :-)

Thank you KBonn for your kind words. My daughter miscarried around 2-3 months and didn't find out until first ultrasound and no heartbeat. She tried to handle it on her own and weaned herself abruptly off suboxone. I think the withdrawal was not good for the pregnancy. She then relapsed briefly and I think she is back on track again. Good luck with your baby and your future. Can I ask you what dose of sub you're taking? and for how long? Did they want you to reduce your amount?

My daughter is getting back on the suboxone pretty much as we speak. The agency she's going through is really riding her hard about smoking pot. I don't know if you ever had that problem, but she says she doesn't want to quit it, that it's far better than the opiates that were risking her life. She's only 19 (been through alot, though) and doesn't drink or do anything else. She's working full time (thank god!). Does any of this apply to you at all or anyone you know? Sorry to be so wordy. I just don't know anyone doing the sub and if she makes the mistake of getting pregnant again, I need to know. God bless you and your baby and your family too.

hey kimmy, just saw this on here... im only 20 and i have been addictid to pills for years, im taking methadone now and it helps. I have also smoked pot the whole time. It really helps with the pain and to help relax and quitting smoking pot is gonna be a lot easier then pills. Im not a girl so im not in the same position but dont think your a bad mother, i have great parents and i know you guys take it hard. Im sure your daughter would also be sorry for putting you through all of this c**p. Just hold your head up high and things will get better, never give up.

I can tell you from personal experience that suboxone withdraw is a bear. No matter how little you take, it is very hard to get off of. There are a lot of sides that come with it. Bowel issues, your brain chemistry resetting, the withdraw,.. please look into the symptoms before she gets on a high dose. I am very sorry for the troubles that she has gone through already. Having good family to help her and not judge her or just throw her out and be done with her is the best gift she can ever have. Love, no matter what the trouble is, this will help her from a relapse. Just one persons opinion.