Hi there! I am 29 ys old girl from Louisville. I have been on Suboxone after my operation, and it really helped me a lot, I am not complaining or anything, but the thing is that I would really like to get off of it now, and be clean again. How should I taper Suboxone? All replies are welcome!!!!

It would be best if you talked to your doctor about tapering. It should be done at the slow rate because otherwise can cause withdrawal symptoms but you may already know that. I would suggest doing exercises and not just mild but heavy trainings, so that is easier for you to handle withdrawal symptoms. Good luck!!!!

suboxone withdrawal seems a lot like methadone withdrawal. No sleep at ALL, none, no eating, spasms, chills, and it does a real number on you mentally. Huge mood swings. The worst of it lasted 3 months and then tapered off for a couple more. This was in the mid 70's when they didn't supply methadone in prison.

I was on methadone for 17 years and switched to suboxone because I heard that suboxone was a partial inhibitor unlike methadone (full inhibitor). I also switched because I was paying $60 weekly on the meth program but now paying only $70 monthly. When I switched to suboxone I was only on 10mg of methadone and my doctor put me on 4mg of suboxone, took me up to 8mg and now back on 4mg hoping to go to 2mg soon. I was told by my psychologist to do some research on the withdrawal of suboxone and now I am more scared than ever before. I want to get off drugs completely but since I have been on them for so many years I am terrified. I have faith and ambition to do this but still scared just the same. I have only been on suboxone now for about 7 months. Come to find out, if I did not have my medical insurance, I would be paying $425 monthly just for the medication, not including the doctor's fees. I don't want to go back on methadone and will try to kick closer to the end of this year when things may be more stable in my personal life. I have no urge to get high on heroin anymore but scared that trying to detox from suboxone will drive me literally insane and back to a life I no longer desire.

My pain killer dosage was 3 40mg Oxycontin (always chewed or snorted) & 6 15mg Roxycodone daily. I started on 5 8mg suboxone and am down to 1. I had mine stolen in L.A. a week before I couild get home to my doc. Coming off of just 1 a day was as bad a withdrawal as I've ever had, and I've had all of them. I understand going slow works, very slow. down to a 1/2 then a 1/4 then every other day, every 3rd day, then an 1/8, and on until you can go longer without the onset of withdrawals. I'm 59 so I'll probably die before I'm off....

well here it is in a nutshell got hooked on fentenyl patches 100 mg a day chewing heroin was a pussycat as opposed to fent. so money became an issue and i said help and went to get on meth program and doc said suboxone would be better i was extatic but unsure of what i was getting into after going to weekly mandatory meetings i saw the drug as at best controversial 3 weeks in now started in precipitated withdrawl because i did not wait long enough to start subs .i sucked it up violently sick for 2 days then slowly started sub again day 3 6 mg felt ok i at that point had made the transfer. drug was weird but workable i saw some of the zombies in group so started a personal taper immediately 4 mg after 2 days and yes i was sick ,hot flashes,sweats restless legs stabalized after 4 or 5 days
another taper to 3 ml 4 days feeling better 1 nite of sweats 2 ml 1 week feel like superstar 1 week 1 ml definately felt drop added liquid vitamins and l lycozine check spelling got a made up mind its drugs or me so continued .50 tomorrow for 5 days then.25 4 days and then every other day then chip if necessary. I WILL WIN I WILL I WILL "KILL THE BEAR"

I am 59 and went to 1/2 a day for three days and none for 5. Today, a friend gave me one; I took it. I hurt so much and Heck, I just took it. I am going to stop but I think I need a medical detox. Hang in there and don't you dare die at 59:)

Hey Collinge,

I am a 21 year old girl from Hawaii. You were prescribed Suboxone after an operation? I didn't know doctors could do that? Or, have you been addicted to painkillers & stopped them before your operation & got on subs after? I'm a little confused, I would love to help but I would need you to shed a little more light on your situation. But, to start off...

Tapering/weening is probably the best way. I am currently doing that with a doctor & it is going very well. Stopping suboxone cold turkey is not the best idea, not saying that there aren't success stories but I've tried it numerous times even from a dose as small as 2mg & I still couldn't handle the withdrawal symptoms; the tremors, insomnia, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, cramps, aches. Seek medical help, go to your doctor & create a plan together for your weening process. Or are you buying your subs off the street? If that's the case, please get some professional help right away. I would love to chat if you'd like, message me :) Keeping you in my thoughts. Love from HI.