I've been reading some posts on suboxone and thought I would share my experiences in the hopes that it may help others. I will share my actual drug use/addiction for a later post. For now, I just want to share my thoughts on suboxone. I apologize in advance for the long post. Again I just wanted to share some of my thoughts and experience with suboxone. I heard about suboxone from a friend. I made an appointemnt with a psychiatrist. After telling him about my drug use, over the previous 4-5 years, he agreed suboxone would be right for me. I have been taking one 8mg per day since august 08 and have not touched any pain pills since. My life is back to normal.

This is what I wanted to write about: I see so many people on this site (as well as a few friends of mine) who naively view suboxone as something to take simply to get past the miserable withdrawals of pain pills. They think that when they are through with that, they can stop taking suboxone. THe friends I know who have done this almost all go back to pain pills. The thing with suboxone is this- it is a part of a recovery program-- not a be all end all to addiction. Yes, the subs are great for not having to deal with the week or so of withdrawals, but more importantly-- they HELP curb the desire for pain pills. Because , even when you are done detoxing from pain meds, it takes a long time for your barin to begin functioning normally. As an addict, you will still have the desire to get high-- in many cases, people are depressed when first becoming clean. For someone who has been taking pills for a few years, subs should not be used as just an easy out from withdrawals. THey should be used, in conjunction with some kind of therapy, group meetings etc. When I asked my dr. how long he thinks I would need to be on suboxone, his answer was something like-- "when you, your family, your friends, and your therapist all agree that you are ready." IN the meantime, the subs have helped me put my life back together. Because of the subs, I no longer have the strong desire to get high. I can live a "normal" life. Yes, I still have fleeting urges here and there, but the subs are a kind of crutch. I know that even if I take a pain pill, it won't make me high, because the subs would block the opiates. I admit that I cannot trust myself at this point in time. to be honest, if I weren;t taking the subs, I would probably want to get high-- I probably would have by now.

For those who say, suboxone just replaces one addiction for another... I do not necessarily disagree. True you will have to eventually taper down from the suboxone. While I have not done this myself, I know it is something I will be able to get through with the help of my dr, family and friends-- when I am ready-- when I have gone through enough of therapy-- and I begin to understand why I began abusing in the first place-- when I can control the desire to get high. I know that now is not that time. Again, subs are not just something to use to escape withdrawals-- as I;ve said before-- they stifle the desire to get high. Please do not misunderstand me. I do not think subs are my life long answer. Again, I know eventually I will have to 1- deal with the ill effects of the weening process and 2- I will have to find a way to cope without an outside substance. It is just that I admit to myself, that I probably could not do all that right now, on my own.
I don't mean to be preachy here, but I don't get it when people say "I should have just gone cold turkey off the pain pills." For most drug addicts, this does not work. It is not just about will power, mind over matter, etc. Studies have shown that addiction is a kind of disease of the brain. To say, "I will get the drugs out of my system and just be done with them," (I mean pain pills here) without some kind of outside help is, in most cases foolish and dangerous. I am not saying suboxone is the best thing for every one. I only know what I have experienced and what I have seen from others.

I also notice people saying they are gettting them on the street. Some people on this site ask others what is the right way to ween off suboxone. NO ONE HERE CAN OR SHOULD GIVE THAT ANSWER. Every situation is different. Getting subs off the street, weaning on your own-- is, in most cases, a set up for failure. Again, if you have a problem, get help from a dr. True, there are some who will say the doctors don't know what they are doing, etcetc. I'm sure there are loads of stories about people who felt they were misinformed by a doctor, etc. It is easier said then done, but find a dr you can trust, who knows what he or she is doing. What is the alternative--- getting subs yourself and weening based on what someone on an internet site tells you?

And yes, I understand that the sub withdrawal is longer than actual pain pill withdrawal, because the subs have such a long half life. But I can't help but think that the bulk of people who complain that sub withdrawal is worse than pain pill withdrawal, either tapered incorrectly or attempted to do so on their own-- without the help of a certified dr. Again, I do not mean to be preachy. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on suboxone. For me, it has been a blessing. A few months ago I was on the verge of losing everything- a career, friends, family, and my girl friend. Taking the suboxone has allowed me to live a normal life, without the need for pain pills. But at the same time I know that the subs are just apart of the solution, not the answer. I know that without them, I would have found some excuse to get high again.

This was a very powerful post to read. I think it's important that you point out that recovery really comes from within and has less to do with the substance than your willpower. I think that suboxone is a very helpful tool in coming down from drug use, but like any tool you use, you have to utilize it properly to get the maximum result. I think that your experiences are invaluable information for anyone hoping to kick any habit--not just pain pills--and it was great reading this. Thank you for your experiences!

What do you think is the most important thing that you learned through this whole experience?

I also enjoyed reading this..And found it to be very informative but I'm still curious to know others experiences with suboxone withdrawal..

What the original poster said is true. I used sub for many years (at least 8) and it allowed me to continue life w/o ever needing nor craving other opiates. It works. However, when it becomes an issue is when one has decided to come off it for good. Sub takes so much longer to detox from than most other opiates--that's the insidious part of using subs. It's not taking it on a maintenance plan that causes the problems. Most users of the stuff I expect never come to this site when on sub, it's only when they are coming off and are looking for help and relief. So the point being, sub is good for what it does over the long term, but when the time to get off, it usually is a surprise to find out hard it is to free ones self from it....

I am 19 days out from dropping the Sub cold turkey with 24-32 mg of it in my system.  I am a glutton for pain... But, after looking back, I most certainly bit off way more than I could chew.  The pain was fantastic!  Not just physical lower back pain, the runs, or the lack of energy, but the mental anguish mad me seriously respect that little 8 mg orange film more than ever!

I got off of Suboxone because it turned me into a hollow shell.  I was on it for a long enough time to where I noticed that my attitude to everybody around me had changed.  I was devoid of all emotions.  I embraced anger and hatred, then I released it on anybody who was in the path of the tornado.  I got pleasure from causing as much pain and suffering as possible.  I would go out of my way to hurt people that I loved.  THIS was why I got off that garbage.  

I would lie, cheat, steal, then justify it (which is the worst thing of all) because, "I NEEDED THIS DRUG TO FEEL NORMAL."

I decided to get off that c**p and get my life back together.  When the withdrawals began, I went outside and started to run.  When it hurt too much or became too painful, I would keep pushing and thinking about the day I wake up and feel "GOOD."  Tread carefully, doctors will not tell you all about what happens when you are on this stuff!

Holy c**p, I've forgotten about posting this over a year ago!! (I subscribed to it then and hadn't received any alerts until now)
I remember chronicling my wd from day 1 to ?? I don't know if you have caught this, but it might help you. It's here:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/suboxone_is_easy_to_come_off_t97841.html
I think my posts begin toward the middle of this thread. All I can say, going cold with 24mg/day is unimaginable. I wouldn't even try it nowadays at anything less than 0.1mg/day.

You've gone 19 days thus far, and that's remarkable. Stay with it, after another month, day by day, you WILL feel better, and this period will be a forgotten episode. You won't even come back here again. Hang in there..

congrats! this stuff is just aweful-multivatime and st johns wort really helped me..I was becoming a giant t**d while on subox as well, this is why I stopped. when I had to get my refil, I just cancelled the appointment and never went..I knew if it didn't stop now, it wouldn't stop for a very long time.
congrats again!

Just trying to help a few people who are on the suboxone bandwagon... My experience my opinion hopefully it helps someone. I was addicted to heroin, the real deal china white from NYC. I was messing around with oxy in 2008 - 2009 whenever I could get it. Basically doing 40-80mg oxy a day for 6 months. I felt Amazing like I was on top of the world I loved those pills until I ran out of money and went without them for a few days and I finally went to a detox after not sleeping or eating for about 7 days. In beth israel hospital I was given a choice of detox, meth or subs. I heard meth was bad so I chose subs not doing any real research i knew i was in physical and emotional pain and would do anything to get through this. The subs given at detox were like a miracle but my addictive personality decided to ask my junkie roomate in detox if he had any good connects for H. You know just in case. HAhahah I had used H before but never had a solid connect. Upon leaving the hospital I had 30 days of subs and a referral to a doctor for more that my insurance would cover. All was good at home for a few weeks I felt like I had my life back on the subs but that little man was whispering in my ear call the dealer, stop taking the subs for a few days, get really high on H and when I couldn't afford my run I would go back to Subs. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON I LEARNED: DO NOT GO ON SUBOXONE IF YOU PLAN ON RELAPSING OR USING OTHER OPIATES IT WILL SET YOU BACK WAY BACK. I was able to keep flipping drugs subs for a few weeks, H for a week then back on subs. I did this over 30 times in the course of 2010 2011. Each time it was a little harder to get back on the subs. It started with pain, restlessness, anxiety, sleeplessness and each time I would go back to subs the length of time to feel better on them took longer. Suboxone became my backup when I couldnt afford H. I flip flopped between the two drugs for 3 years and moved to california in sept of 2011 (no more china white). I had no doctor in cali so i had about 60 8mg sub pills that my doc gave me before i moved. I tapered from 8mg to 2mg a day in about a month with help of a nurse practitioner who gave me clonodine and klonopin to help ease the withdrawls. I felt like i was losing my mind and my body was falling to pieces I was 31 years old but felt 90. Then I went from 2mg to 0mg and was stuck in a depression that i had never felt before. I felt like nothing, i did not talk to my friends, turned my cell off for weeks and could not do anything but shiver shake and get hot and cold all day. Through this sub detox I was also experiencing cravings so bad I wanted to buy a plane ticket back to NYC just to get that good stuff one more time, thats who mentally sick I was. So i found a methadone and roxy dealer out in cali and felt fine evertime I could get enough money to buy some pills but the days i couldn't get them I was back in withdrawl hell. I did not want to be alive. I lived to use and used to live. I then found a doc in cali and got back on 8mg a day of subs because I was tired again of all the BS that goes along with an opiate addiction. Again I kept my methadone and roxy connection just in case. AGAIN HONESTY, HOW MANY MORE CYCLES OF PAIN AND SUFFERING WAS I GOING TO GO THROUGH THIS TIME BECAUSE I GOT THE SUBS FOR THE WRONG REASON. i WANTED THAT FALLBACK SO I COULD STILL GET HIGH. Two weeks later I had a great job and was feeling so much better. I stayed on the subs for about 3 months before i stopped taking them AGAIN and went on the real opiates and back to subs when i couldn't afford the pills. I went off the suboxone one last time a few months ago and started doing 30mg roxys about 5 a day and 5-7 10mg methadones. When I ran out of that stuff I felt worse than ever puking, diahreer, no energy, no motivation, all the same withdrawl but worse. Then I just wanted to feel better so I took an 8mg sub and went into the hell of percipitative withdrawl for my first time. I really thought I was going to die for a few days. I felt like I had the flu x10 and did not sleep for days. That is the worst part not being able to sleep it off and having all those pains and crazy running thoughts through my head. Now I have been back on subs for a few weeks and found a better doctor to help me realize that its all or nothing. I realized that suboxone is a miracle drug if used correctly. Everyone is different and you have to decide the right tappering schedule based on your body. Everyone is different and if your doc tells you to stay on them longterm you just become addicted to the subs. Its a dual addiction physical and more so mental because we get so used to taking suboxone to feel better especially in the morning. We have to totally reprogram our brains to accept the fact that we can live without it. My new doc is doing a slow taper. But the most important lesson i can tell you is that you have to make a 100% commitment to getting clean and every relapse just makes it harder to get back on suboxone and even harder to get off suboxone because when you relapse your starting back to square one. If you like pain and misery and suffering everyday of your life just for a few days here and there of getting high then do what I did. If your serious DO NOT RELASPE.. go to NA, talk to your doc, a friend a family member anyone. I had to get honest with everyone in my life even my boss at my new job because they can tell when I was doing good and taking my meds but when I had a relapse and was trying to get back on the subs they kept asking me if I was okay while I was sweating bullets in the nice air conditioned office. I did not tell my boss the whole story but enough so that he would understand I was getting off a strong medicine i was prescribed for a long time. The more I kept the relapses a secret and thinking I was fooling everyone but in reality I was fooling myself. I have been on 6mgs now for a month and will see the doc in 2 weeks to go down to 4mg. I have faith this time and don't want to do any other drugs I am tired of always feeling sick and I sometimes wonder how it feels to be normal. There is no middleground with opiates your either addicted to them and live for them 24hrs a day 7 days a week or you use the tools of recovery and the tool of suboxone to get though it a little easier. SUBOXONE IS NOT FOR SOMEONE WHO STILL WANTS TO GET HIGH IT ALSO DOESN'T WORK IF YOUR NOT HONEST. Have someone you can talk to or someone that has been though it and talk to them it makes it easier knowing that eventually one day you will feel good. I was afraid that was never going to happen and still am but this time I am not relapsing. I hope my story helps some of you. Just like any other drug suboxone is a miracle and a monster it just depends on how one goes about using it. Normal people get hurt get a script for pain killers they take them feel better and thats it. Some people are born with addiction and when that bottle of pain meds gives you that good feeling you just want it over and over again. I am blessed with so many great things and people in my life so I guess being an addict is what I have to deal with during my short time on earth. on average a person only lives for around 30,000 days. thats not alot and it makes me depressed thinking about all the wasted days i spent sick or nodding out eating my shoe laces. I am 32 now and feel like life is just begining. I have a 6 month plan to get off the subs and a support system in case I have feelings of relapse. Also Exercise is super important and the more exercise we get the faster our bodies learn to produce their own endorphins. I take vitamin b complex, drink lots of herbal tea and take milk thistle and st.johns wort. They seem to help and I hardly noticed my transition from 8mg to 6mg. Wish me luck on going down to 4. Sending out lots of love to the people who are struggling, suffering and those especially who have made it through this, you all give me the strength to get up and live another day. I now know its possible to get up one morning and not have to take something to feel normal. Best wishes to everyone.

thank u 4 ur post. i am in subutex withdrwal myself. havent taken for 3-4 week, bin thru hell and still weak and pathetic, but i wont go back.....u can do it.....good luck x

I'm tapering off suboxone and I can't believe how hard it is! I started on 16 mg. about 4 yrs. ago, and now I'm down to less than 1 mg. I tried just stopping when I was on 2 mg. and felt fine, until about 4 days later. I woke up in the middle of the night SO SICK I wanted to DIE!! I was throwing up, freezing, had diahrrea, and was so weak I could barely move. My husband finally took me to the Emergency Room where they re-hydrated me, gave me medicine to stop the vomiting and stomach problems, and in about 3 hours I felt well enough to go home. I HATE SUBOXONE!! It's harder to get off than ANY other drug! I'm still taking a 2 mg. suboxone film, and cutting it into 3 pieces. I'm TERRIFIED to stop again! AND my dr. told me there would be no withdrawal! Stay away from suboxone, seriously, if you want to be drug free, taper off SLOWLY on the drug you're hooked on! Suboxone is a BRUTAL withdrawal!

How are you know

You're absolutely right.... a SLOW, and I mean VERY slow taper is a necessity to be free of the Suboxone/ Subutex addiction and to come out on the other side with minimal withdrawal. It took me almost a year of tapering (from 6mg's)- but during the last 4 months of it, I tapered from 2mg's down to less than 1mg. I had an 8mg strip left and made it last like 2 weeks, with my strips cut in 1mg's and took a 1mg for several days, then every other day... then every 2 days, etc. And I think I had about 2 weeks of minimal withdrawal, but nothing unbearable. Some of the hot/cold thing, some restless legs (but mostly at night) and a little depression. But it was not even CLOSE to the intense withdrawal I had originally when I was addicted to 180mg's hydrocodone a day. Not even 1/10th.

i have been on subs for two years 8 mg and it saved my life now my insurance wont pay anymore and i know whats going to happen and it sucks because every thing has been great for two years,now i will be back shooting dope and probably dead in a month.