Hi, my sister has a sixteen years old son. Ever since he was a baby, he had problems with his lungs. Infections were very common. However, they were never very serious. Recently he started coughing a lot and loosing weight. We thought it was another one of his "attacks". After seeing a doctor, he was diagnosed with Swyer-James syndrome. I am eager to find out anything about this condition.

Hi, as a result of unilateral post infectious bronchiolitis obliterans in infants and young children, Swyer-James syndrome appears. Bronchiolitis is caused by inflammation of bronchioles in the lungs. Even though Swyer-James syndrome is often described as one lung illness, there are, but very few, cases in which both lungs are affected. This condition disables the affected lung in developing. Sometimes no symptoms may be present. Because of this, Swyer-James syndrome can only be visible if a chest x-ray is taken for another reason. The most important thing about treating this syndrome is to stop infection. However, this condition is very rare. Even if it appears, one lung is capable of supplying our body with the necessary amount of oxygen. I am sure that your nephew's doctor will take good care of your sister's son.