I have a similar problem - I am 20 and have bad circulation in my hands and can be prone to chilblains, but recently the middle knuckles on my fingers started swelling. When I go outside (even with gloves) they go purple. They don't actually hurt very much, mainly when I wake up, and as someone else said it doesn't feel like it's the joint itself that is painful.When it was just one knuckle on each hand I thought it must be chilblains again, but it hasn't gone away after about 3 weeks and doesn't itch. Now all the knuckles on my right hand and two on my left are swollen. I am awaiting blood test results currently but I am worried because the doctor asked me if anyone in my family had RA. They don't, but she also wrote 'Raynaud's' on my slip when I went for the blood test, which is sometimes a symptom. I have had cold hands that change colour as long as I can remember, though.

In a way it is nice to hear that other people with this problem don't know what it is and have ruled out autoimmune diseases. Any ideas?

I know for sure that it's related to detoxing, and goes away when my body has detoxed, or I quit the herb i have been taking to detox. Cilantro and chlorella are the worst reactions, I can't touch chlorella anymore, and have to be very careful with cilantro. sometimes i get the swelling anyway, but if i drink lots of water, it helps my body detox quicker. I DO NOT do cleanses because of this reaction. also any of the nightshade plants will cause this reaction for me. tomato, peppers, etc I find even too much ACV is detoxifying and I will get a little swelling. It's not arthritis. Hope this helps

ask about lupus test

Hello. I may know the answer to your problem. It must be either poison ivy or poison itself. Have a doctor look at your X-Ray, or see if they can take out anything that is harmful to your body. Hope this helps!

I am 32 and just had the same symptoms start on my left ring finger. That used to be my skinniest finger. I do think that is has something to do with diet...gluten or dairy or alcohol...like someone said congested liver. I too love red wine, like someone else mentioned and noticed that does seem to have an inflammatory effect. Try an elimination diet...remove one thing only for 8 weeks to see if that helps. I am not 100% sure but think this has something to do with it. If anyone has success please post to let us know. Glad to know I am not alone.

Michelle.Did you ever get a diagnosis. I could have written your post. I, too , work in the science field..Also, had the duct work replaced and shortly lost both of my cats. Anemia, low blood pressure..never smoked but otherwise..almost identical. Been gluten-free for about 2 years. Terrible joint/cartlidge issues, test negative for ANA, RA, connective tissue, auto immune...Spent $$$$ trying ot figure out. Also chronic cough for the past 10 years...negative to reflux (Ph probe)...Would love to know how you are>year later>
Dawn

Same here..work at the regional science museum, maybe I should have our vet check me! I too agree that it seems to be related to connective tissue..I had all the autoimmune tests ran as well..negative..Work in the field, have had quite a few tick bites but never any rashes, fever, etc. but I know they don't always show..Began having jont issues about 15 years ago along with a chronic cough. No reflux (ph probe test) Just wish I could track down what this was and how to treat. It is getting worse as I enter my 50's.
Dawn

Well this is frustrating, I've finally found others with the same thing I've described to my parents (both doctors) and no one has figured out what it is or how to get definite relief. I'm 29, male and my left hand pinky just started feeling stiff, swollen, discolored (purple or red) and painful at just about all times. I play guitar in a band so I thought at first it was an overuse thing or temporary injury, but it has not subsided after 2 months. Nothing seems to help it, except for hot compress, which offers slight temporary relief. Ibuprofen, Icy Hot, ice, etc don't help. I've also tried Turmeric with black pepper (which I used for muscle inflammation in the past with success), tart cherry juice, ACV, and glucosamine/msm supplement all in hopes of improvement. I haven't gotten any bloodwork or tests done yet.

My parents, although not arthritis or joint specialists, are physicians who cannot identify it and actually recommend against going to a doctor at this time as I would likely waste time and money not knowing which specialist to see. Their advice is to take it easy and ice/heat it and see what happens but even that doesn't seem to help much. I play in a band and use my pinky all the time...I'm scared that it's going to get worse and/or attack other fingers rendering me unable to do what I love.

I also experienced dry/cracking/sometimes itchy skin that went away with steroid cream when the symptoms first showed up.

What the hell is this and why can no one figure it out? I'm in decent health otherwise. It's so frustrating and makes you feel helpless not knowing what to do to make it better.

I have the same problem, but the purple swollen knuckles appear in the summer, not winter. It's always one knuckle, then maybe two, then it goes away in the winter and reappears on new knuckles the next summer. So painful. I was wondering if it is hormonal, because the first summer it appeared I was 40 and other annoying things popped up too, such as chloasma-like mottling on my cheeks and temples and severe hip pain & stiffness when standing. Now I'm almost 44 and the symptoms have lessened but not fully disappeared.

Wow. This is really interesting to hear about others who have similar symptoms. I am a 27 yr old female with joint pain, swelling and redness in both of the knuckles on my middle fingers. It is extremely painful when I bump it on things and more stuff in the morning. Bith knuckles will switch off pain.
I thought it could be due to braking while riding my bike, but I have stopped for over a month and the symptoms have only increased. I am also gluten intolerant and have high cholesterol (so the liver issues seems to make sense).

Also, I had a tick (Colorado wood tick I believe) embedded in my side one year ago. This was not too long before this started.

Gosh, I am reticent to go to a bunch of doctors. Does anyone have more specifics on detox diets?? Liver cleanses? Has that worked? Any clue how to find out about tick related stuff?

Thank you all for writing, it feels nice to know that others have similar experiences.

Please for gods sake check out lyrica on the people's pharmacy, I had a terrible medical trauma and was given lyrica without any knowledge of it, after 6 months the side effects had reduced me to a shuffling wreck, this medication often called pregablin is currently being investigated both in America and Europe due to the massively degenerative side effects, it actually terrifies to hear that people are still taking it, I stopped taking this drug two years ago and I still have 50% of the side effects, and talking to many many hundreds of people who have taken this drug in the past it seems the side effects take between 2-5 years to leave your system.
PLEASE PLEASE CHECK OUT THE REPORTS ON THE PEOPLES PHARMACY

I have the same symptoms. Have also has chilblains in feet and reynauds in hands.
This current problem is possibly a secondary reynauds (which can lead to arthritis ). My symptoms are exacerbated by cold and, to back up another comment, poor diet. Sugar has almost an immediate effect on my fingers, as does alcohol. I totally agree that a detox/liver flush is a great idea so I'll keep you posted as to how that goes. Thyroid (basal temperature) and pancreas (sugar/glucose assimilation) function is compromised so it's worth focusing on them. Lots of articles say stress is a major factor too. (Which will effect the body systems).

I have that to..Went to my MD (I have RA) and HE didn't know what it was. It is painful! My knuckle popped and it's been purple for months.

Anyone have a hint??

It could be a condition called Dupuytren's. If you have places on your knuckles that feel like a node and the ceases of your knuckles look loose or dimpled you could have this disease.

Me too same problem in my ring finger where my rings are but I don't have any accident to bump in any object..I've notice it just today afternoon when I touched the ring finger of my right hand sof,in a little bit pain and purple swollen.