My symptoms were chancre in throat, swollen neck glands, fever. Most of the doctors just said I had flu, but eventually I was diagnosed with syphilis. That was 4 months ago. A month ago I experienced the symptoms again including some hearing loss and vision problems. I was tested for HIV and it came back negative. I am incredibly frightened because I have kept reading about the high-risk of HIV transmission among those with syphilis. Being that I had syphilis, I feel have no clue what I should expect next.

Because of the syphilis there is increased chance of acquiring HIV. Open chancre sores can provide an easy way for the virus to enter the body and also white blood cells at the site of infection may increase the chances for HIV transmission as well. Anyway, with or without syphilis, the dynamics of anti-HIV antibody production do not change. I do HIV test once a year, but it should be done three months after your last possible exposure. Having syphilis will not alter the time it takes to develop anti-HIV antibodies or the results of HIV-antibody test.