What is Tarsal coalition? I would like to understand better this disorder. My friend’s child has Tarsal coalition on its foot. Her doctor claim that it is inhered, but she said that no one in her family has it.

Tarsal coalition is often an inherited disorder. It is a condition that occurs in the foot and It happens when one or more joints in the foot or tarsus does not form properly during development in the womb. Although any joint in the foot may be affected, the most common sites are the calcaneo-navicular joint and the talo-calcaneal joint. Most joints have a bit of fluid in them to help protect and pad the bones, but in tarsal coalition, this synovial joint is absent. Instead, the joint contains fibrous tissue, cartilage or bone, and thus does not move normally, it is stiff. It happens often between 11 and 13 years old for boys, but it can occur anywhere from age 8 to 16.