I went to the Ear Nose and Throat doctor and he told me I had two choices. I could either deal with the tonsil stones or have my tonsils removed. After about a month I decided to have my tonsils out. It is the best thing I have ever done. My breath has improved and I have not had one tonsil stone since they were removed (three months). Surgery and recovery was not as bad and some people say and it was worth it for me to not ever have to deal with the tonsil stones again. Good Luck!

Hi All,

I have had tonsiloliths for more than a year now and i am soooo sick of dealing with this and the accompanying bad breath! yuck!

Problem is my ENT who I have gone to only once so far, and my general doctor are completely blowing me off on this issue. Frustrating!!

My Question: Has ANYONE found a good ENT for this issue in the San Diego area?

Help much appreciated!!

Guest wrote:

Thank you all for posting. Im 43 and have been dealing with the embarrassment of bad breath and the wierd craters since I was a child. I have NEVER spoken to anyone or a Dr about it due to being too embarrassed, I thought I was crazy and the only one who had this issue. I have a Dr.appt at 3:00, I'm going to ask for a referral to a ENT. Blessings!

I too have had the same embarrassing ordor and taste in my mouth for years. Not being able to describe let alone tell anyone what these little yellow balls were in the back of my throat. Finally I got an answer and I actually got it from a Kaiser doctor. Its called Tonsillyth. My doctor basically said either have the tonsills removed or deal with it. I definitely am getting them removed but am very nervous. But the end result is halitosis or not. I'm married I can't have bad breathe & we have 3 kids. Maybe this is why my husband never kisses me anymore. To have that relief is excuse enough for me to get the surgery. Kaiser is going to completely cover the procedure, but I did have to go through my regular doctor a couple of times before he would refer me over to ear, nose, & throat. They gave me antibiotics it did nothing. Make sure you tell them it that the back of your throat swells, you gag a lot, you snore & can't breathe right, you've used a tongue scaper & nothing works. Be desperate and make them notice.

I have been dealing with tonsil stones all my life...and now at the age of 40 they are worse than ever! It is unbelievable! My kids avoid me and say they can smell my bad breath even when I walk by and my lingering bad breath reaches them! I get tons of stones out every day or two..tonight was the most ever! .....over 30..probably 40...I found a hole that I pryed open with a metal stem (some sewing device that has a hook on the end).....Each time I opened the hole, I released more of these tonsil stones! It's no wonder that I cannot stand the taste in my mouth and that I smell so damn bad! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and find a solution....I cannot date a woman now...my breath is continually getting worse...and I do not get near people because I know they will die when they smell my breath! Can't believe this has happened to me...I once worked with a gal who had the worst breath in the world....now I am just like her.....and am guessing that she had the the same problems!

Hello. I'm 34 years old and have experienced those tonsil stones for a few years now and finally got tired of dealing with them they became such a problem and effected my personal life to the point where I would be nervous and embarrased to speak to other do to my breath. Well my solution to this problem was to remove my tonsils. Today I had both of them removed and the surgery went smoothly. I am experiencing alittle pain when I swallow but there is not one drop of blood. I have taken a liquid pain killer they prescribed for me the first time I took it I threw up but that was do to an empty stomach. I slept most of the day and now I feel alot better. I hope this kind of recovery continues and I'm back to work by the middle of next week. If you suffer from tonsil stone I recommend getting you tonsils removed so you can enjoy the rest of your life.

I go to a really great dr. who spends a lot of time with you and discusses all options. I have tonsil stones also and have had them for the last couple months. Dr. Julie Berry is a wonderful dr. and would probably recommend good things for you!!!