I have an aunt in her late 70's who has seemed to have given up on life. She has no know illness's but acts like she is dying. She does complain of being dizzy all the time but refuses to do anything about it. She has fallen several times and after each time she seems to become more afraid of falling again. I mentioned that her doctor needs to to tests but she doesn't want any tests ran. She eats an extremely poor diet. To make matters worse her daughters don't care. They all live in the same town. One daughter rarely sees her and the other brings her fast food once a day and then soon leaves. My aunt lives with my mother but they don't speak much. Also she has very poor hygiene too. The house only has a bath tub not a shower and she states she hasn't taken a bath in over 3 years! She rarely leaves the house. Her weight has declined significantly in the past few years. She is now under 100lbs. She moves about by using a walker and shuffling her feet. Her ultimate excuse for not doing anything is that she is too old. So here is my question. What legal means or responsibilities do non-children of an adult family member have, as far as seeing that an elderly person seeks proper medical attention or any sort of care?

Depending on where you live, the only time you can intervene is if there is abuse from her children! Also please know that people whom are lonely can OVERSTATE their health needs for attention! I think there is a LOT that has gone on with her and her children, and as a daughter of a man whom is also 70 - but I take care of ALL of his needs, pills, hospital etc - he will say how bad he is when he wants me to do somehting, but when I take him for check ups and sit in with him, he says "I feel REALLY good!" Like his nurse said - "They become used to being the centre of attention IF something is wrong, so they say it all the time - as in woe is me!" I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with your Aunt! BUT I dod suspect that is is more about loneliness than actual medical! No law or rule can make children be better caregivers to their parents and visa versa! Thus SO many parents in homes - when they don't really have to be!