What do you think -is removing lipoma a good option? My dad is diagnosed with lipoma at the back of his neck. I think he has this lipoma for years but it was of very small size and hasn't ever made him any pain until recently when his lipoma has grown up to the almost 15 cm in diameter and his doc suggested surgical removing of lipoma. And all my dad has was a simply physical exam and I am afraid that this lipoma may actually be some kind of a tumor so do you think this might be a tumor for as I said it has grown recently and has become painful on touch and also is there any other way for removing lipoma except surgical? Thanks!

Lipoma is just a simple flattened lump usually situated under the skin and if it grows like that than it is necessary to remove it. And removing lipoma is not performed for it might be the cancer or tumor but simply because it is sometimes located on some unpleasant place causing discomfort and pain so removing lipoma is the best solution here. And regarding the size of your dad's lipoma than the surgical remove is advice for otherwise it might reoccur for the possibility of hasn't removed it in total. There are also some other way of removing lipoma such as steroid injections-but they are used in removing small sized lipoma and also there is a liposuction as an option but only in situations when the patient would like to avoid large scar but I don't advise this technique for it is not effective in removing large lipoma.