I have symptoms of tenesmus - rectal mucus discharge, straining most of the time, little bowel movements. I have been under extreme stress losing everything we had to Katrina and trying to gain control of my life again. I am being treated for PTSD. Can stress cause these symptoms I have described? These particular symptoms begin about March 15.
Thank you.

I am sorry to read that you are one of the victims of Katrina hurricane, it must be hard for you to remember that. I believe that you developed this post traumatic stress disorder because of all that, it must be really scary to go through such a catastrophe. We all know that stress can cause us many problems, and you should not be surprised if you are told that the tenesmus is the result of the stress as it could be. I know that me personally have troubles defecating when I am under stress, sometimes it is difficult for me to pass the stool, and sometimes, on the other hand, I have diarrhea when I am extremely anxious.
I just don’t have the right advice for you, but all I can say is that it would be the best for you but it would be the best if you consulted some experts and follow their instructions.